Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gourami "resting" on gravel?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lord Arthien
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.18(Mon)17:36    Post subject: Gourami "resting" on gravel? Reply with quote

When I came home from school today I fed my fish and noticed that my red gourami was missing. This wasn't really surprising, seeing that he is very skittish, but I just wanted to be sure he was OK, so I looked in my colosseum hidey-hole. His head was just visible inside one of the holes, and he was down very low, as if he was lying on his stomach on the gravel. At first I thought he was dead, but then I saw his rapid breath in the darkness. To make sure, I moved the decoration a bit and it scared him enough to send him shooting to the other side of my 55 gal aquarium. Every time I tried to look at him he shot away, until finally he came to a rest with his stomach on the gravel, partially leaned against the colosseum, with seemingly labored breathing. He darted about a few more times, and now he's in the top corner.

It's a newly established aquarium, and I'll have had him (and my other two gouramis) for three weeks this Thursday. My gold gourami picked on him quite a bit for a while, but lately he hasn't as much, and the red one picks on my blue one every once in a while now.

Should I be alarmed by his behavior or was he just spooked?
somethinfishy
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.24(Sun)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not worry about him resting I had a kissing gourmi that did that for years. If he is leaning and has labored breathing or resting often that could be a sign that someting is worng. You said the tank is newly established, how long has it been set up? What are your water parameters? Are the other fish acting strange? I would recommend testing the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates then do a water change and see if he improves.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.24(Sun)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you cycle the tank before you put fish in? If not, your tank is currently cycling and high levels of ammonia and nitrite are harmful to fish and could be the cause of your gourami's behavior.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum. Please read that and get back to us so we can help you with your fish. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.24(Sun)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

somethinfishy wrote:
If he is leaning and has labored breathing or resting often that could be a sign that someting is worng.

*ehem* Wink

Lord Arthien wrote:
finally he came to a rest with his stomach on the gravel, partially leaned against the colosseum, with seemingly labored breathing.

Read the link that Nik posted. For cases like this, it is vitally important that we have the specific information. Also, please tell us the species or at least the common name of the fish you have. Red, blue, and gold gourami isn't that helpful. Wink

I have another theory. Being that it is a gourami, it is possible it has an iridovirus that is common among dwarf gouramis sold in the hobby.

From http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA035
Quote:
Clinical signs associated with the presence of the iridovirus have included darkening of body coloration and lethargy. Sick gouramis often stop eating and the abdomen may be distended.

It is likely that your fish is suffering from ammonia/nitrite poisoning, but if your water parameters are acceptable then this is another possible cause.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: