Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Recent move, new aquascape, new danios
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.03.06(Thu)14:48    Post subject: Recent move, new aquascape, new danios Reply with quote

I moved recently, so I took the opportunity to redo the aquascaping in my aquarium. The tiger barbs are gone since they were showing a lot of aggression towards my cories and today I added 10 zebra danios.

The anubias have grown enough that I split a couple of them. The Cobombias are new - the LFS employee told me that fish eat them. They were cheap so I figured why not. I didn't bother getting a close up of the danios since they're very active at the moment.

Something in there has been very busy with earthworks. I gave up trying to keep the substrate the way I wanted and just whatever fish it was dig however it liked. There's three excavated areas - one in the front in the middle and then behind each of the two piles of lava rock. I think it's my pleco, but I'm not certain.
Ice00152022
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.06(Thu)15:05    Post subject: Anubias Reply with quote

Wow that Anubias looks really good...what kind of lights do you have on the tank?
What else do you plan on adding? (Fish and Plants)
55 Gallon Dutch Discus Tank
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.03.06(Thu)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember exactly what the lights are, but there's two different kinds in there (Noticeable since the right side is a little bluer). I selected the lights based on what they said about promoting plant growth while minimizing algae growth. There's only two 18" 15 watt bulbs in there, so it's pretty basic.

I don't really have any plans for additions. I kinda go with what I think it needs after a while. It's been a couple of months since I returned the tiger barbs, so it was just cories, a clown loach and a pleco for a while. Figured I needed something that wasn't a bottom feeder which is why I ended up with danios (One of a group of smaller peaceful fish that I had pre-selected - the danios were on sale Razz).

Anyway, if I add any more fish, it'll be something that likes to live mid-tank and as far as plants go, I'd like something taller than the anubias (The cobombias are for that, but sounds like the fish might kill them) to create a more three dimensional backdrop.
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.08(Sat)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! Your tank is very very clean! Good job!

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.03.08(Sat)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't deserve credit for that. Razz The light I chose makes the algae fairly easy to manage, but I could only bring myself to scrub the front and sides with one of those magnet scrubbers. And this I only did once the algae got to an annoying level.

I had Otos for a bit, but they didn't really do much. The sailfin Pleco that I put in there, however, has been a godsend. Within a couple days of adding him the tank looked like it does now and it has never dirtied at all.

I know I'm going to have to return him eventually as he'll grow to large for a 55, but my LFS has been really good about taking back fish and giving me store credit so I'll make sure he has a better home before he has any problems with this one.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: