Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My first tank ever!
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bose_man
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.06(Thu)12:31    Post subject: My first tank ever! Reply with quote

My first tank ever. It's a 20 gallon long, not sure on the specific dimensions. It has a undergravel system with a Penguin 550 power head. A marineland 100 watt heater and a 20 watt flourescent light. It is currently housing three Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish (Two males and one female.) and three plants, a crypt, some corkscrew val, and a lily of some sort (I haven't been able to identify it yet.)
Sorry for bad quality.

Shoalin' time!
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.06(Thu)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great start...you may find that keeping more root depending plants alive to be difficult with the UGF...you shouldnt have trouble with stem plants that obtain most of their nutrients from the water column tho.
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a black background behind it would make the tank look spectacular Smile
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with MCHRKiller, if you are planning to keep many more live plants, you might consider removing the UGF before you get to far into your new project, as they will only cause problems for live plants in the future. Other than that I would suggest some large river rocks, your tank right now looks quite flat, off to a great start though, but I'd consider adding some more rocks, plants , and a background. Can you get a close up of the lily, we may be able to help you identify it.

Good choice on the stocking so far Smile maybe add some cories or some small loaches.
bose_man
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.07(Fri)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some research and hearing from you guys, I'm definetly going to remove the UGF and probably put in a HOB filter. I would like a canister but I don't have that kind of money. I hear tetra makes good HOB's.
Here's the lily by the way. You can kinda see a new leaf growing!
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.08(Sat)2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the dimensions of your tank Very Happy

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
bose_man
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.08(Sat)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice guys. But I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the UGF for a little while at least. Partly because I'm pretty poor at the moment, and also because I don't want to hassle myself and the fish by switch out the filters. My plants are growing well also.
I can't wait for spring! That's when I'm going to take a mini-expedition down to the lake to see if I can't find any cool rocks or driftwood to decorate the tank with. And yes, I'll make sure to clean them off really well to remove anything that might harm the fish.
Greenthumb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.08(Sat)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

that lily you were wondering about looks like a red tiger lotus
bose_man
Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.09(Sun)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ID Greenthumb. I can't wait until the plants fill out a bit more. I'm trying to make this tank the best it can be with a very low budget.
I searched through some of the rocks I've collected on vacations past and put them in the tank and I must say they make it look a lot better. I also constructed some more hiding places because after getting new fish, I felt it was a necessity. I also went out and found some driftwood today, it's soaking right now, but is there anything else I should do to make sure there isn't anything harmful on it?
Here are some updated pics. I made the stupid mistake of adding too many fish at once I think (five!). But I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible for them by, as I said before, creating new hiding places and upping my water changes to twice a week. Live and learn I guess.

hiding places

The new duo

Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: