Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Chinese High Fin Sharks
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
badisbadis101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.12(Tue)18:10    Post subject: Chinese High Fin Sharks Reply with quote

I am going to build a large koi pond in the next few months. The pond is going to be large (about 75'x50'x4 - 6 feet deep). Besides koi, I plan on having some gambusia, some texas cichlids, and maybe a few other natives. My question is whether or not large chinese high fin sharks could survive the winter here. I live in houston, texas. The average temperature around here in the winter is about 50F, but will get down to freezing for short periods of time (less than a day). The water temperature in that pond would probably stay above 50, as my small (around 1,000 gallons) backyard pond rarely goes below that temperature, and this pond is a lot bigger. So, does this seem like it would work?
badisbadis101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.14(Thu)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it no one has kept these before?

Anyway, I have been reading online and has found that they apparently thrive in ponds, down to temps of at least 40, maybe lower. So, I think I am going to try it - how many would make a good school? And do they school when they are large (1'+)? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure they do well
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.14(Thu)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the Gallery page on them?

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/cyprinids/e_Myxocyprinus_asiaticus.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Cardinal Tetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.14(Thu)16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who owns my local pond shop keeps and sells them. I live up in the North-East, so there should be no temperature problems for you in Texas.

Although that is a very large pond, I wouldn't add Cichlids with Koi, I can't see that working out.
badisbadis101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.14(Thu)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I will probably start them in my 1,000 gallon pond until they get a bit bigger Cool

Nickelodeon - actually, I did not - I looked, but didn't see it, lol, so thanks a bunch!

about the texas cichlids and koi, I have seen many smaller ponds around here with breeding texas cichlids, and they have had no problems (I have actually seen wild texas cichlids with fry and carp in very close quarters as well). I guess I will just see how it goes. I have had success with convicts in my goldfish pond for the summer, so I would think that texas's and koi would do fine in a much bigger pond Laughing
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: