Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Clown Loaches in Ponds - For the summer
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
badisbadis101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.07(Thu)16:42    Post subject: Clown Loaches in Ponds - For the summer Reply with quote

I am interested in purchasing some clown loaches for my 125 gallon community tank. However, I would like to be able to bring them outside in the summer to my roughly 1000 gallon pond. I live in Houston, Texas, so temperature is not an issue. I have had success bringing cichlids out there, but have never tried loaches.

I assume that they would get better growth outside, would be more colorful, and more likely to breed Cool

EDIT: Oops, I did not notice the bottom dwellers forum - I guess this should probably go there. Or would this go better in the pond section?
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.02.07(Thu)19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pond forum is better so I brought it here. Sorry but you'll have to convince me that temperature is not an issue. Wink What kind of temperatures does the pond reach in the summer? Does it remain stable throughout the day and night?

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
badisbadis101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.07(Thu)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

It stays between 75 and 82 from april to september, but fluctuates very little (Less than 1F in 24 hours). The pond flows from one side to the other, with one half being pretty shaded and the other half relatively sunny, so the temperature stays stable.

PS: thanks for moving this to the correct forum Laughing
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.02.07(Thu)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Marcos, keeping a stabel temp would be difficult and the weather is more dependent than a tank. Plus, I have heard horror stories of ponds being in the upper 90's in the summer in Texas, I don't think a Clown Loach could stand that high of a temp.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.07(Thu)19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personally never had my pond get above about 82F, possibly because mine is partially shaded and has a waterfall.

Besides a stable temperature, what else would be important to keep them healthy?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: