Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Changing from gravel to sand???
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
babyboydaddy69
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.06(Wed)11:28    Post subject: Changing from gravel to sand??? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a 55 gallon fish tank, with blue, pink, black, and white gravel, and want to go with a more natural look, and was wanting to change it to sand on the bottom, and wanted to get people take on it, is it even possible, which kind to use, how much sand to use, is it safe, cleanign of it? And also wanted to know about plants, I wanted to use real plants, but not sure on how to get them started, or where to get them at, lighting, etc? Thanks for any input, Tom

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.06(Wed)12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude... I don't want to be rude but you need to look through the other 300 topics that deal with this subject in the chemistry and eqipment forum.. or use "search"

It's not too difficult but there are many options
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.06(Wed)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where it would be a bit daunting for a new member to search over the many topics on switching substrate. Wink

First of all, what is your ultimate goal? I know you mentioned having live plants. Plants do perfectly well in sand. Are you planning on keeping bottom dwellers such as cories or loaches? If so, you'll want to choose a sand that has smooth, small grains.

What kind of sand is readily available to you? Do you have a Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards store near you? What kind of sand does your LFS (lcoal fish store) carry? Do you prefer light or dark substrate?

As far as plants are concerned, what is your current lighting? Do you plan on injecting CO2? Personally, I do not inject CO2 but instead select low light species of plants. If you browse through the Garden section of this site, you can get some ideas of some plants you would like to keep.

If you can answer some of my questions regarding your ultimate plans for your tank/substrate, I can definitely help you with the substrate changing out process. I've changed out the substrate in my own tanks several times. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.06(Wed)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you may find my substrate change thread useful.

Good luck, I would love to see some pics of it when it's done.

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
martin78898
Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.28(Thu)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sand in my aquarium, and I don't recommend it. The problem I have with it is it always gets into my filter. The filter usual gams. I recommend natural looking gravel.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.02.28(Thu)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 7 tanks with sand with no problems. Make sure the intake or your filter is at least 3 inchs from the bottom.
martin78898
Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.28(Thu)20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the problem is that my air pump is lifting the sand up, and my filter is sucking it up. Its at least 4 inches above the ground.
babyboydaddy69
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.29(Fri)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

<h2><b><I>Well, to answer everyones questions. SO far the best sand I've seen is the Silica sand. And its pretty cheap, only 8$ for a 100 lb bag. So, I think I'm going to switch to the silica sand. I have 2 bottom dwellers, but I moved them to my girlfriends 14 gallon tank. That way I have less of a chance of having sand come up in my filter. Now, my filters are pretty low to the gravel as it is, (as pictured) and I Was worried about sand going into my filer, and was thinking of maybe just cutting about 1/4 of the tubing from my filters. Here is a few updated pics of my tank, one before, and one after without the sand so far, just got more plants, changed the background, removed a few fish, (such as the dragon goby, pictus catfish, black moors, beta), removed the fake stuff, added a few real rocks. Thanks for everyones help. Here is a pic of before and after so far. Tom

<center>

center>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.03.05(Wed)5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word on your stock:
Dragon gobies are brackish water fish and are not suitable for a freshwater setup.
Black moors are coldwater fish and shouldnt be kept with tropicals like angels.
babyboydaddy69
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.05(Wed)9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you looked at what I wrote, you would see that I had taken out my dragon goby, black moors, beta, and my pictus catfish.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: