Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Introduction
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Emperor_Nick
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)11:34    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This is my first post Smile

I'm a 20 year old Canadian and I got a 40 litre aquarium a few months ago to liven up my room. I had very poor luck with my first school of fish - I'd never had any before and listened to the advice of an uninterested pet store employee. I had gone there planning to get a school of (well researched) Neon Tetras, but she told me they'd get along well with an energetic Blind Cave Tetra (aka Mexican Tetra I think) who'd caught my eye.

The Neon Tetras started dying, which I initially thought was due to my incompetence. One morning when only one of the seven Neons remained I woke up to find him being eaten by the Blind Cave Tetra (gross).

Since that unfortunate incident I have learned a few things:
1. I don't listen to pet store employees, although places that specialize in aquariums have given me much better help.
2. I NEVER buy a fish on a whim anymore. Study, study, purchase.

I also replaced some fake plants in my tank with a nice looking cracked pot (much easier to keep clean with the brush).

I now have a single male Betta who looks like this:

(clicking this picture will bring you to my gallery)

The whole aquarium looks like this:

That is a power filter, which I know isn't recommended for Bettas. I've turned the water flow way down though and he seems not to mind it - he even relaxes around the intake. The thing to the right in the tank is a tipped over diver's helmet. It was originally standing up but I was worried he would get caught in a small space below it (between the gravel and the curved helmet base). He sleeps in the pot at night and hides in the helmet if there is rapid motion near the tank, which I think is neat Very Happy

The one question I have is - I still have the regular "tropical fish flakes" from my Neon / Blind Tetra school of fish. My Betta has been eating these, but should I get him the special Betta food they sell? Is it OK to finish off the thing of tropical flakes? I'm also considering buying a female Betta.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

It's a shame you had to learn the hard way, but at least you now know to research before buying Very Happy

That's a very nice betta! You should show him off some more in the betta's thread in the photo album Smile

The betta may be OK on the normal flakes, but would probably be much happier with food made specifically for bettas. How often/how much do you feed him?
Emperor_Nick
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed the Betta once per day, a small pinch. The general consensus on the internet seems to be 2 minutes of eating should be enough. This website is typical of what I found, but with some useful pictures of overfed Bettas:
http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm

I'll go and pick up some Betta flakes, it costs almost nothing anyways. I bought these tropical flakes for a few bucks when I got the original school months ago and it's still about three quarters full!

I'd like to get a blue female. I'd originally wanted a blue male so he would be visible against my red gravel, but this red one caught my eye.

By the way, here's a picture of my aquarium with the original school intact:

CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful if you're planning on putting the female in with the male - even male and female bettas don't always get along.

One small pinch of food a day sounds fine for your betta.
Emperor_Nick
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice CAllain!
Terry Joe
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

And nice betta. Cool
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend a female with a male at all. If you want more fish in there, you could get another small school (5-8 ) of Neons or harlequin rasboras.

And I highly recommend live plants. If you have the standard light fixture for a 10 gallon, some java fern, anubias nana, and java moss would be great. The "betta bulbs" or plant bulbs you find at some chain stores are okay, but hit-and-miss in terms of how many will actually grow.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "careful" I was thinking along the lines of a divider... I should have specified that really...

But I'd agree that a small school of some smaller fish should work well too. I was trying to think of some that would contrast with the red gravel and didn't come up with anything yet, unless you can find some "green neon tetras" (like neons without the red stripe).

Then again, live plants would contrast well with the red too!
Emperor_Nick
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.16(Sat)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update - I have since picked up Betta food, little tiny pellets instead of flakes. From the point of view of the feeder, I like them a lot. It's much easier to measure out a portion and they don't sink, making it much easier to clean out whatever he doesn't eat. That hasn't been a problem thogh.

From the point of view of the feedee: Betta LOVES them! Before he would nibble on the flakes and they would often settle to the bottom before he was done. Now he eats the four pellets (recommended portion size, twice per day) almost immediately. My nephew (6 years old) enjoys feeding him because he "nods because it's good" (when he chews his head moves up and down amusingly).

I've decided to stick with just him in the tank, he seems happy and is very active in the tank. He comes up to the surface when I open the little door and sometimes puffs up just because we look at him. I've tried to explain that I don't want "his" ladies, but he seems unconvinced...

Here he is today thinking what a strange looking fish these "cameras" are:

I like the idea of live plants, but we're moving soon (don't worry, I have a friend who'll take good care of Betta and my aquarium until we're settled) so I'm leaving the tank as is until then.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: