Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
gravel for Koi pond?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)12:53    Post subject: gravel for Koi pond? Reply with quote

I'm told that in the wild Koi will spend all day digging around in the mud and gravel looking for food.

Does a person who keeps Koi in a man-made pond use gravel in it?
Do we have to allow for the Koi's natural need to dig in the gravel, by having a few inches, or is the mess that comes with the Koi digging all the time not worth it ?
Cardinal Tetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.29(Tue)15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although your fish are already in danger and you have not listened to our advice in the past, I will answer your question for the sake of your fish.

No, my local pond store(one of the best in the country), my friends, nor I keep gravel or any type of substrate in our ponds. I have read and been told numerous times that Koi can try and eat the gravel, which is possibly fatal, so that should be avoided at all costs.
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.29(Tue)15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Koi still able to spend time cleaning the liner rather than the gravel in this case?

The reason I ask is that Koi do seem to spend a LONG time rutting around in the mud in the wild, so is this something thats normal, or is it going on only where people allow in ponds?

What I want to know is if you have to allow for this to keep the fish doing normal things?
Or will the fish not really notice if there is no gravel?
Cardinal Tetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.29(Tue)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my Koi usually eat plants from my pond, outside plant matter such as leafs that fall in the pond, and insects. In the wild they search through the mud for food sometimes, but its not necassary. I'm sure it would cause a lot cloudy water and cause problems with the filter, which can be a big problem.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: