Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Request that a post be moved/removed
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)19:29    Post subject: Request that a post be moved/removed Reply with quote

In relation to this topic: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=49701

I would request that the following response be removed or moved to Site Issues for responses:

hockeykid wrote:
I don't believe that 99 percent are helpful then theres me that is just here.... watching. Twisted Evil

If I am understanding the post correctly, hockeykid is insinuating that the members of this board are not helpful. I don't feel it would be appropriate to respond to that post while it's in the Intro forum. I wouldn't want to confuse a new member by having controversy in their very first topic!

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Psyfalcon
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.27(Sun)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to breathe.

This sort of thing always sorts itself out soon enough.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read that, I think they missed some punctuation which may have helped avoid misunderstanding.

I think what they wanted to say was that 99% of the members on the board are helpful, then they're not as they're just watching (and I had to read it a few times to finally realise that's what they meant).
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAllain is right about the punctuation, I think.

Here's what I think happened: (I sound like Monk, don't I?)
Uncle Willie had just said:
Quote:
Everyone here is very very helpful, and I hope you enjoy!
and then hockeykid said:
Quote:
I don't believe that 99 percent are helpful then theres me that is just here.... watching. Twisted Evil

hockeykid was making a joke. What he meant to say was this:

"I don't believe that (everyone here is helpful.) Laughing 99% of the members are helpful, and then there is me ... the 1%. I'm just lurking and watching. Twisted Evil "

I'm sure the use of the evil grin was meant to show he was joking, but this just goes to further reinforce what Marcos and a few of us are always saying about the importance of punctuation. A missing comma can lead to some misunderstandings and bad feelings.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.28(Mon)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, I do need to remember to breathe. Laughing I've been a bit testy lately, in case anyone didn't notice!! Embarassed

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, guys!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.29(Tue)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Nikelodeon, it's considered poor form to complain about a post in a public manner. If you think someone's post is offensive or mean, alert a moderator (I couldn't find a report post option, so just PM a mod with the post) and let them handle it.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.29(Tue)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to address this post publicly because I felt as if discussion would ensue regarding the post, and I felt it would be better suited to the Site Issues forum rather than the Intro forum. I wanted to come to the defense of the good people of this board, but didn't want to do it with the post in it's current location. In retrospect, I perhaps should have just PMed a mod. Please feel free to remove this topic as it has apparently proved more controversial than the post that prompted it.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: