Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Snap Shots Preview
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.01.24(Thu)19:05    Post subject: Snap Shots Preview Reply with quote

Dear Members,

I've just installed here on the board (as an experiment) the Snap Shots Preview script, a 3rd party resource that allows, to preview a small image showing the destination of a link posted here. The small windows opens when you pass your cursor over any external link (outside the aquahobby.com domain) and helps users decide whether or not they want to click on the link to go there. IOW, it should pop up when passing your cursor over this link to Google but not over this link to the site's Gallery section.

Actually I'd already been using this resource on the main site since last year, but not on the board because there was some incompatibility issue with the phpBB script, which apparently has been solved.

In any case, please let me know if you face any trouble with this resource, and feel free to give me some feedback on whether it enhances or detracts from your navigation experience here Wink

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Wake
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.25(Fri)10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice if the advertisements on the forum index were an exception to the previews, because it is annoying to keep accidentally mousing over them.
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.01.26(Sat)4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this comes up with the YIM image in posts as well, as it links out to Yahoo's site. The other I'm"s link internally.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.02.01(Fri)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm finding them a little annoying. I mouse across the page to hit a button or something and get pop-ups all over the place. Is there a way to set it so that we have to hover the mouse for a full second or two before the preview pops up?
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.02.01(Fri)23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I'm finding it a little annoying on the board as well. It has some nice uses - for example you can see linked images and YouTube videos right there in the window without having to leave the board, and in the main site I have good control over link placements and they're mostly all to the top, sides and bottom so accidental triggers aren't a big issue, but here on the board there are many links in people's sigs and posts right in the middle of the pages that keep triggering the popup with the slightest mouseover pass.

Your conclusion was also the same as mine, a 2 second delay would be the perfect solution, but I don't think this option is available in the current version. I'll check more carefully and if it isn't I might just remove it from the board for now...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't been having this problem. personally, it doesn't matter to me because if I see the link, I open it up in a new tab and go back to it later, and close it if it isn't interesting. this is the exact reason why I use firefox and cannot go back to IE.

CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find it too annoying, but again, it isn't too useful for me either, as like DF Bobo, I use firefox and can open the link in a new tab.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.02(Sat)9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE has updated the software so they now have tabs. Just saying. (I use Firefox and passionately hate IE.)

I was finding them slightly annoying, but mostly because they took a bit to load and then a bit longer to go away.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: