Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anemone questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.01.17(Thu)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern for the living animals in this industry trumps any embarrassment I could ever feel regarding the free advice I provide here. Your comment and question was,

Quote:
"I believe it said 5500k to 10000k is suitable. It's a nano reef and I don't think you can get actinic lighting that would fit. So do you think 6400k will be sufficient. I could get more of that. I have fixture that could install 8 wpg. I might try that. 8 wpg 6400k n see how anemone reacts.

What you think of that?

I do not think you are foolish, I merely gave you an answer based on what your intentions seem to be in your post. As I said, I do wish you the best of success.
Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.18(Fri)5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well fine I can accept that. You seem very knowledgeable. You could have asked a few more questions though enabling you to give a more knowledgeable response.

Anyway thanks for all your input. I won't hesitate to ask your opinion in the future.

Look! Someone left footprints on the ceiling!
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.18(Fri)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say Moment that if I had been responding to this thread I would have seriously questioned your knowledge of marine aquariums the moment I saw a picture of a severely bleached anemone in a nano reef. That is because I don't know you and I haven't interacted with you on the forum therefore I would try to guess your level of experience from the information provided.

A simular situation would have been if say you posted a picture of a blue tang in a 3ft tank. People would have assumed you had no idea what you were doing even though you may have a 6ft tank in the works. Posting your intentions such as the fact you will be relocating the specimen to a more suitable tank in the near future first up can prevent a lot of ill feeling and assumption making.

Also instead of FloridaBoy, who is taking time out of his busy life to help you having to interrogate you in order to get the information why don't you just take it upon yourself to provide as much information as possible?

Andrew
Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.19(Sat)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever... I was speaking in the present tense I'm not going to get into a pissing match about how intelligent we are or who's the more conscientious fish keeper. I feel no need to defend myself, but thanks for the advice Floridaboy, at least the positive advice. I'm out.

SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.19(Sat)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not attacking you or being negative. I was not saying you weren't intelligent or a conscientious fish keeper. I was simply saying that on forums when some one asks questions or starts up a thread who you do not know you do your best to get an idea of their experience from the information provided. That and if you post pictures of critters that will eventually outgrow the tank they are in without stating that you are planning on upgrading in the near future you should expect that sort of reaction.

Andrew
Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.19(Sat)20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you even read all the detail in the first more positive half of this forum? Does not my understanding of those points and delivery of my own insights speak volumes for my experience and ability to grasp how to provide needed care. Once again I was speaking in the present tense, about what steps I am taking now.. As I said before, a person who was "doing their best to get an idea", as you put it would, if they we interested in being positive and helpful, ask those very questions about where I was going...

And frankly SLACkra, as far as my opinion goes, I don't even know why you are being so involved. You've offered no answers to any of the earliest questions in this thread, back when I was still in my research and was actually asking for help. You've offered no reference material or any valuable insight in to the care of anemones and as I said are simply turning this into a pissing match. You're all mouth. You only started talking in this thread to defend (and I use this term with grace out of thanks to you FloridaBoy for your help) and "under informed" opinion of my ability to cope with the task ahead!!!

Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.19(Sat)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and P.S.

How did all the "expert reef keepers" get to be expert reef keepers?

By getting talked to death about how much they didn't know?

Maybe it was by doing there own research and making their own decisions?

They had reefs before they had forums you know.

Frig you got me irritated. I don't like being so irritated.

LOL

Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.20(Sun)1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Sorry to intrude here, but I am going to have to come to the defense of SLACkra and FloridaBoy. I do not see them as being out of line in any way.

FloridaBoy started with:
Quote:
Well I have to say (respectfully) I think you have no business with a bubble tip in a 5 gallon tank. I don't say that to offend you my friend, but the reality is they get LARGE and I think you need to understand that. (as I said, that one you have may not be a BTA, but you could move it I suppose).

And you responded:
Quote:
Now why would you presume to turn an otherwise positive line of questions and deep research into an assumption of my intentions or of my ability to provide the needed care for this being?

FloridaBoy tried to be polite, and in no way was trying to turn this into a "pissing match". If anyone started it, you did. Sorry, but this is my opinion and I will defend the great people on this board who provide helpful, patient, understanding, and free advice. If you do not like the advice, you don't need to take it. But as FloridaBoy said, he is just trying to look out for the living creatures we, as hobbyists, care for. I applaud him for being so compassionate and concerned with the treatment of animals. Not to say you don't take good care of yours, because I am sure you do.

Please, let's just let this all go and help Moment out here guys. He is here to get help, and this has turned into something no one wants on the board.

Moment, please forgive me if I have upset or offended you, I just needed to voice my opinion and I hope we can help each other out (if you are into freshwater at all) Wink

Thanks,
Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
Moment
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.20(Sun)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moment wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude here even if I seem off putting. I'm just informing you. I appreciate your input.

Moment wrote:
Well fine I can accept that. You seem very knowledgeable. You could have asked a few more questions though enabling you to give a more knowledgeable response.

Moment wrote:
I'm not trying to make any comparisons here but just so you can understand were I'm coming from..

Moment wrote:
Anyway thanks for all your input. I won't hesitate to ask your opinion in the future.

Moment wrote:
but thanks for the advice Floridaboy, at least the positive advice.

Moment wrote:
and I use this term with grace out of thanks to you FloridaBoy for your help

Apparently I wasn't being gracious enough. I apologize for getting so heated either way.

Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.20(Sun)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moment.

I really don't want to carry on this argument any further, but let me just say that comments like this:

Quote:
You could have asked a few more questions though enabling you to give a more knowledgeable response.

Make it seem like you are expecting too much. If you expect people to do the work for you, so they can help, they won't help.

I realize that you were gracious, but you were also rather touchy. In every post where people have replied to your "negative" ones, people have said things like:

Quote:
I was not attacking you or being negative. I was not saying you weren't intelligent or a conscientious fish keeper.

Quote:
I do wish you the best of success.

Quote:
I don't say that to offend you my friend

Please, do not take offense to the concerns of other fishkeepers. Let's drop this argument, please.

Oh, BTW, your tank looks very nice! Care to put up a full tank shot? I love marine Very Happy

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: