Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How long for most fish to become fully grown?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
silvox
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)22:31    Post subject: How long for most fish to become fully grown? Reply with quote

How long does it take for most fish to become fully grown?

OK, obviously that probably depends on the fish, so how about for a Tiger Barb? A Molly?
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on many things, diet probably is the largest factor besides that of the species. A higher protein diet will promote good growth.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Frontosaking said, those are the ost important factors. I just wanted to add that some species, as the are juveniles may release chemicals that stunt growth. So in this case, water changes of growing fish, especially raising fry, is very very important.
silvox
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information so far, but I was wondering about maybe a general numerical amount, like 6 months? (assuming I give them a mix of tropical fish flakes and blood worms)
Joekraz3
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollies take about one year if they start from a fry just a guess from my experience.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen, live or freeze-dried bloodworms? Freeze-dried have not been as good as frozen in my experience. For tiger barbs they will need a fair sized tank, 20 gallons minimum to promote healthy growth and you need to keep up weekly water changes. Mollies also won't do as well in freshwater, they prefer a little bit of salt to their water, this is one key water condition that could also affect their rate of growth.

Now, are you wondering about full grown size or sexually mature size? Mollies can be sexually mature in 6 months or earlier, sometimes later but won't get full grown for a good couple of years seeing as they can max out at 5 inches but once a little past sexual maturity they start growing slower (I guess they spend all their energy doing something else Wink ).
I can't speak much on barbs but I bet they also take at least a year to become full grown but I am not sure on their sexual maturity as I have never bred them or even came close, though I had some for a month and they grew a little less than 1 cm in that time on a diet of frozen bloodworms, tubifex, mysis and flake in a 65 gallon tank.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many or all fish that are available for the fish-KEEPING hobby, should live past 6 months with proper care (other than feeders Razz). I know most cichlids will get around 10 years or more, but I can't help you with tiger barbs... I should probably know though, I have some Razz

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention this but fish actually don't stop growing, as they age they grow at progressively slower rates. Think of it as a number, divide that number by 2, then that number by 2 and just keep going, no matter how many times to divide it, it will never reach zero.

It will become some very minute number that is extremely long. The same with fish, it will start growing slower with age, eventually reaching the point of growing so little that we think it has stopped.
shubapie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've almost posted a similar question, just never got around to it before - I have 7 tiger barbs in a 55 gallon tank and have had them for around a year, and they are nowhere near the 3 inches that they can grow to. Not yet even 2 inches. So, I've been wondering how fast they usually grow. Mine get flake food and the occasional frozen or freeze dried bloodworms, plus they snack on the wafer I feed to the shark. They are active and healthy and get weekly water changes. Maybe they are slow growers?
mandle
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is not just water conditions and feeding that influence how long it takes a fish to grow to its maximum size - but also the actual maximum size...if the maximum size is, say 2", would be likely less than 1 year...but if the maximum size is 36" - then it would be a number of years! if you have a big enough tank to house a tank buster it can be a great adventure...when I used to own a red tailed catfish he was about 2" as a baby so he started out in a 10 gallon, then as he grew he moved to a 20 gallon, then his last tank before I had to move and sold him was a 110 gallon tank (he got to about 12" while I owned him)...I cannot remember how long it took him to grow that large but it was quite a long time - and quite an exciting adventure! I used to own a silver arrowana that I raised in the same way...a lot of fun if you have the time and money! at least even smallish fish are fun too - my blackskirt tetras and tiger barbs were teeny babies when I bought them - now they are full grown...and you sometimes find surprises as they grow too - I bought 2 CAE babies, they were both the normal grayish colors, but as they grew one turned mostly gold - turned into a marble CAE! I had no idea when I bought it... Smile
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: