Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How many cleaner shrimp 55 gal
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)8:58    Post subject: How many cleaner shrimp 55 gal Reply with quote

I have a a FOWLR that I am slowly turning into reef. I have only a goby, coral beauty,scooter blenny and 1 cleaner shrimp in the tank now with about 60lbs of live rock that has been running for over a year. I will eventually add another fish or so.

My question is how big of a cleanup crew do I need? Is one cleaner shrimp enough? How many hermits should I get (right now I have 2 very small ones). This tank will gradually become full of life so I want to be sure I have my crew setup properly

Thank you for any advice on this.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways, that's just a matter of opinion.
Hermits, shrimp and snails aren't actually neccessary to run a tank well.
If you like hermits, get some of them. But be forewarned that they can sometimes get big, and they are opportunistic predators; big hermits sometimes kill and eat sleeping fish. They will also kill and eat each other. I wouldn't get more than 1 per 5 gallons. Some would recommend more, some less.
I wouldn't really consider shrimp 'cleanup crew' per se (they clean dead skin and parasites off of fish, not garbage out of the tank)... but they are fun to have around. Plus if you have more than one, their eggs make a built-in food supply for your corals. You would have room for one more.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go with a few shrimp and at least a dozen hermits. Get the dark red hermits, though (I forget the name), but they are good for algae and generally non-aggressive. Blue-legged hermits tend to kill each other for shells. At least, that's what mine did.
tripwater
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Harcoff wrote:
Get the dark red hermits, though (I forget the name), but they are good for algae and generally non-aggressive. Blue-legged hermits tend to kill each other for shells. At least, that's what mine did.

I think the red ones are called scarlets. I only have two small hermits in my tank right now 1/2 inch and I picked up 4 zebra turbo snails, and 4 smaller turbo snails. I still only have one cleaner shrimp in the tank. I was mostly thinking for the food supply to be honest. I read that the offspring shrimp would be good for my blenny and other critters in my tank so I thought it might be a good idea. I know there are peppermint and camel and fire shrimp and they all serve their purpose. I specifically picked up a cleaner for the parasites. I was told they help keep the sand clean as well. Just did not know if I should get another or go with one of the other types like peppermints...and how many.

Thank you for the responses. Any other responses are welcome.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.11(Fri)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about mixing different species of shrimp. Some of them don't get along with each other. I'm pretty sure it's the peppermints you have to be careful with, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I last looked that up.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend mixing different species of shrimp either. Once one shrimp is established, it'll most likely kill any new ones. It's best to add shrimps at the same time when you want to add multiples. I would hold off on any shrimp, whether it's a different species or another Cleaner Shrimp.
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a clean-up crew your looking for, snails wipe the place free of algae, the glass of the tank and gravel if any aglae blooms occur!

I find Trochus snails faster than Turbo!
AquariumChicky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.13(Sun)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our 55 reef (no fish yet) we have Margarita, Banded Trochus, and Tongan Nassarius snails.

The Margarita and Trochus do a terrific job of keeping the tank in check. The Margarita's blend in with the LR, and the Trochus are beautiful, and get many compliments. The Nassarius keep our deep sand bed aereated. Our family loves trying to spot they're little tubes sticking out of the sand, and they love when I put a few pellets on the sand bed and the Nassarius come running from every which way!

Crab-wise we have Dwarf Zebra and Scarlets. The Dwarf's are generally in a small group, and I love watching them and they're shananigans. The Scarlet's don't get very big, and they are great for algae problems. None of our Hermits have shown any aggression at all.

We don't have any shrimp, but we are going to add a small group of Scarlet Skunk Cleaner's soon. From what I have heard, they are the best suited.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: