Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Newbies First Tank Set Up Method, Very Easy!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.02(Wed)15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note to help to you further understand why substrate is an important factor. Compare the surface area of the bottom piece of glass of your tank to the surface area of a layer of substrate. All those surfaces created by the substrate pieces (sand, gravel etc) greatly increases the possible surface area for bacteria to colonise (by more than double with ordinary pea gravel), which is very important in keeping a healthy aquarium, working in a similar fashion to that of a sponge in your filter.

Phil Wink
Psyfalcon
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.02(Wed)17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trill the man wrote:
[Needless repetition of the entire previous message removed by moderation - MA]

Yes and no... the surface area is definitely increased, but the good bacteria are aerobic, so they need a strong dose of O2. This is in part why wet drys became popular, the water- air interface provided. Hanging the gravel provides even less aerobic area than a bottom substrate.

Certain people do use bare bottom tanks though, with good success, it helps most with the big, messy eaters, where it is easy to loose a ton of food! Now in this case... since we are apparently rotting food to cycle the tank, siphoning it out would be counter productive, no?
RevZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.02(Wed)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha thanks.. yeah I'm pretty much being beaten up in this thread,

so anyway is there a form of sand that won't make the water salty?.. because my tank is freshwater, and I don't want to kill the guys, and if so, is there certain sand you would recommend and why?
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.02(Wed)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your LFS should have some inert sand substrate. As long as it isn't marine sand, it shouldn't cause problems. Play sand and pool filter sand are used quite often, but if you have any bottom dwellers such as cories, the pool sand will wear down their barbels since it is so rough.

Good luck with your tank, and don't feel beat up! The community is very patient and understanding, we're trying to be as helpful as possible without being mean Very Happy

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.02(Wed)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand shouldn't make the water salty. It could mess around with the pH if any of the sand grains consist of calcium carbonates. You'll most likely want to look at some sort of silica based sand that should be inert, that is it won't react with the tank water. If you are unsure whether or not the substrate will affect the pH of the tank then take a small amount of it, place it in a glass or test tube and add some vinegar. If any of the grains start fixing away then it will affect the pH. Don
RevZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.02(Wed)22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotcha!! so silica based sand. Check it by adding vinegar. and if I want corydoras (which is what I'll probally get after my SAE's are too big) it has sand.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.02(Wed)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Tahitian Moon Black Sand. I have some in two of my tanks and it hasn't changed my water parameters. I also settles right back down when it gets stirred up and doesn't make a big mess.

If you want cories (they're very addictive, I have three different kinds of them) make sure you go with a sand that has small grains (.02 - .05mm).

Whatever sand you go with, remember to rinse it very well, several times over!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
RevZ
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.04(Fri)16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

would Java Moss carpet along that?..

also, if need to siphon my tank, wouldn't that mean that I would destroy the carpetin? or is there a way to avoid it?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.04(Fri)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java Moss isn't much of a carpet plant, you can't really put it in the gravel and hope it spreads across the floor. You can tie it to multiple rough rocks and have those in the gravel but from my experience it always turns brown and dies when in the gravel.
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.05(Sat)1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some tanks that used it for a carpet effect. I don't know how they did it but it looked great. It completely covered the bottom with no patches of gravel (at least none I could see). They could have used the method Jacko described but I'm not sure. However I just thought I'd post that it can be done, I just don't know how to do it.
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: