Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How many times a day do you feed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BigCiX
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.29(Sat)16:52    Post subject: How many times a day do you feed? Reply with quote

I usually feed twice a day but I was told that is too much.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.29(Sat)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeding fish in a tank can get complicated.

A simple answer is that two times a day is fine.

Now... the complications.

Fish actually need very little food to survive. In a natural state fish eat whenever there is food available. Yeah...feast or famine. Is this a good thing? Yes and no. A tank is different than nature. Tanks are not big and we usually want a lot of critters in our tamks.

If you have slower, reticent, less aggresive eaters and faster eaters it is some help to feed more than the quick ones can eat before it falls to the bottom. Even though you do not see it a little bit almost always gets to the bottom even if you think you are feeding sparingly. Some critters forage in and on the bottom for anything to eat and some fish only eat at night.

If you plan on some of the leftover food or abundant waste from the fish supplying some of the plants requirements, extra food can be good.

The key to feeding is always water quality. If during your tests the quality of the tank water is degrading it might be a problem stemming form overfeeding. Almost all fish can learn to beg. Getting food is always a priority with any creature and the rest of the animal kingdom is not stupid. Eminently practical, animals learn what it takes to survive and begging works quite well. Just because a fish begs or acts hungry to us does not mean it actually needs food. So what is the answer to the question of how much to feed? If you are raising fry, several times a day isn't too much but the folk that do this also usually do a lot of water changes to keep the watter quality up. Being well fed helps growth and appearance and can, sometimes, curb obnoxious behavior. Water quality is the key. Balancing the sucess (?) of the tank and maintaining water quality is the key which comes with doing it and watching your tank and its inhabitants.
BigCiX
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.29(Sat)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I have is a 6 1/2 jack dempsey and a 4 1/2 inch common pleco. but I noticed that my water quality can't stay clean for over a week. I'd feed him like once in the morning and once at night. not to mentioned whatever else my wife feed him throughout the day. I think I'll cut it down to once a day.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.29(Sat)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love JDs. I had one that killed eveything else in the tank and I went from crunching up snails for him to feeding him wieners and Dog food. I had a friend that had one and it was gentle and docile. Go figure!

The Plecos have specific dietary needs and get big.
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.30(Sun)3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed my fish sporatically, one day ill feed several times then I may go a day or two without feeding...or feed a little today and a big feeding the next day and skip a day or whatever. IMO keeps the fish from getting to fat, but still keeps them growing nicely....my fish seem so much more active with this method than the scheduled feedings.
smirgol
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.31(Mon)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this also. It helps to prevent begging when they are used to being fed at a certain time. My Ctenopoma would beg obscenely after 9pm because I always fed him shortly before lights out (10-11). After constantly changing up the feeding time over the course of a week or so, the begging stopped and now he goes about his business much more normally.
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.31(Mon)23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discus, so I feed around 4 times a day
MackEmmons
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.01(Tue)1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a day relatively sparingly for me. and every three days or so I fast them. My calvus pair that I am trying to breed get hand fed so that I know how much they are eating and they miss nothing to very little.
kaybee
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.01(Tue)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a day plus a fasting after 4 days of feeding.
BigCiX
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.03(Thu)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
I had one that killed eveything else in the tank

same here. I had a jd and a oscar. both babies. the jd took most of his side scales off so I had to put him in a different tank then give him away.

How long do you guys fast your fish?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: