Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
breeding congo tetras
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
congo bound
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.28(Fri)13:52    Post subject: breeding congo tetras Reply with quote

I have 2 male and 1 female congo tetra (not ideal). The dominant male is staking his claims and chasing off the other male. If I can catch the day when they decide they want 300 kids, I want to transfer the eggs into a separate tank. My question is: Are there specific parameters (pH, temp, hardness, etc.) that will achieve the best results? The parent tank runs pretty soft, pH 6.0 - 6.5, temp 78F, 2+ watt per gallon lighting, low light plants and DIY CO2. Cool
congo bound
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

just thought I would reply to myself to see if this forum is alive.
Joekraz3
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the parameters look pretty good for breeding in your tank. How big is the tank?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of anyone even coming near to breeding Congo Tetras, I will look into it for you though since I know a wholesale breeder that sells them though the might only have imported ones. Confused

My bet would be that if you prepare the group by feeding live and protien full live foods and then stimulate a rain they could likely start breeding. Feed them on frozen bloodworms or bs or mysis for a week, then move up to daphnia or live food of some type. Once conditioned, do a water change and when adding back in the water make it a little softer and cooler than your current tank water (probably no more than 2* and .2 difference). Make sure you have an infusoria or microworm culture ready for the possible fry so that they have something to feed on once the eggsac gets absorbed.

Best of luck and please tell us your outcome, good or bad I would like to hear about it.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bred Congos.

Exactly the same as neons but a four foot tank instead of a 2 foot tank.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.01.12(Sat)4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diadem - I assume they are egg scatterers? So as they breed the eggs will drop into the gravel or sand? If so, a marble substrate might work best and removing all the adults after a period of time? (To prevent them from eating the eggs/fry).

I'm just curious, at one point I thought I try to breed mine but got into rainbows instead.

Cathy
congo bound
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.18(Fri)3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my original post it now looks like I may have 3 males. I was quite surprised to see the tail spikes on the alleged female start to grow suddenly after this much time had passed. I suppose, unless one is familiar with this species, their behavior can really fool you. There does not seem to be nearly as much chasing going on and I can't really see any significant difference in coloring. Is the female supposed to be much duller than the male? Looks like I may be in the market for the elusive females. They don't come around to the local fish stores very often, so it could be awhile. If I do get to that point where I have a pair ready to mate I'm thinking of laying down a removable carpet of peat in hopes they will chose that type of spot to scatter the eggs. Then I would be able to transfer the eggs to a fry tank since I have a significant fish population and too many places to hide. I would probably wreck my tank trying to catch those guys. What are your thoughts?
congo bound
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.19(Sat)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fate would have it, I found exactly 3 mature female congos at the local fish store. They are slightly larger than the males and appeared almost tranparent due to the basic flake food and lighting conditions where they have been living for quite some time. They actually look plump with eggs. The other thing I noticed was that 2 of the females eyes appear to have some kind of whitish irregular material on them. The store has 2 other much older congos (not for sale) in a huge tank and have the same condition if not worse. It could be that the 3 I have are also somewhat aged and this condition is expected. Is anyone familiar with this condition and is there anything that can be done about it? They sure are happier in my planted tank than the 10 gallon they were in. Diademhill, I would very much like to here about your breeding success (water parameters, tank set-up, etc.). Rolling Eyes
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.01.20(Sun)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck man! You owe us pictures if they do breed Wink

Is the white abnormality on their fins or their body? I have seen older congo tetras with white stringy things on their fins (very tips, kinda like another piece of fin) all the time. When my mom had some congo tetras (R.I.P congos Crying or Very sad ) they had some difficulty with mouth fungus and then ich, both were white so I hope that isn't you problem!

Do you have any pictures of the white-stuff?
congo bound
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.20(Sun)17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to see if I can find our digital camera and figure out how to post it. I've been wanting to post some photos for some time now. The white stuff is only on the eyes. On one of them, it looks like a white circle centered on the black part of the eye. On another it looks like a wavy line along the top part of the black area. The color on the new females is returning as I feed my fish tetra flake mixed with dried bloodworm and treats of frozen brine shrimp. Just a minute ago my wife yelled from across the house..."Spider!!". I yelled back..."don't squish it!!". The congos are now playing keep away with the spider since it won't yet fit into their mouths. These guys are insectivores and it shows. What a cool fish. It may be a week until my next response since we are only here on the weekends. So, until then...fish on.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: