Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is my fliter sufficent?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.27(Thu)9:52    Post subject: Is my fliter sufficent? Reply with quote

In my 142L, I think thats around 30gallon?? In there is 7 kilo's of Live rock.

I have a fliter that runs along the in the hood of the tank. So its sucked up through a pump and goes through a series of fliter pads and goes back through a hole at the end with a nossle that points the water back towards the pump to be sucked up again.

My pump acts as a powerhead aswell though. It halfs the water 50-50, 50% gets blasted back out and 50% goes up top to be cleaned.

What happens is though is that 50% of water that is blasted back out hits the oncoming water coimng towards if from the other end of the tank coming down from the fliter and causes the water on the suface to be constanly moved? Good for oxygenation?? Or bad?

I know it would be handy to know the name of the pump but my tank came as an all in one type tank.

My livestock is A Yellow Clown Goby, Yellow-Tailed Damsel and a Trochus snail. I don't want to add any more untill I know the water is moving sufficently. My pump seems quite strong the as the fish going flying backwards if swim in its path!

So basically do you think my filteration system is good enough to add a little more livestock?

Thankfully christmas has helped a great deal in funding to get a protein skimmer so should be getting one soon enough!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.27(Thu)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say for sure from here but it sounds pretty good to me!
The important thing is to have efficient biological (your live rock will help with this) and also mechanical filtration (keep those filter pads clean) and good water movement to add oxygen and keep detritus in suspension until the filter picks it up.

The skimmer will be a great addition, remember other so-called filters do not really remove waste, they merely CONVERT it to DOC's! Clean your filter pads in marine water to avoid killing the beneficial bacteria on them! After your tank becomes balanced and you get a good skimmer, you may be able to reduce or even remove the filter pads and only use them periodically which will help reduce nitrate production!
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.28(Fri)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, tomorrow I'm off to see a new fish shop that I haven't been to before! Hopefully will pick up a skimmer there!

If I add another maybe 4-5 kilo's of live rock into my tank to add to the biological filteration will this upset my tank in anyway ??
Would a triphosphor florescent tube be the next best thing to metal hailde if you have a hooded tank? I just want something that has enough light to stimulate alittle more life on my live rock, I know my standard light bulb that came with the tank hasn't enough to stimulate growth?

Thanks for the reply! Smile
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.28(Fri)23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding more rock will not hurt at all, as long as it is fully cured, and carries no dangerous pathogens or hitchhikers! Some experts suggest a quarantine period for live rock if it's being added to an established reef!

Fluorescent tubes are offered in several varieties; VHO, Power Compacts, T5's, Actinics, etc. and all of these will vary in two important areas
Funky Fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.29(Sat)15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for those links!!

I went to the fish shop today and even though is gonig to be slightly messy job, I'm going to invest in T5's. A set of two!
My hood on my tank is not suitable now to house them but there is things to do and parts to get and I will hopefully have my lighting system nice and strong in alittle while!

Thanks again!!!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: