Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I'm thinking of getting/making a python...
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.19(Wed)14:07    Post subject: I'm thinking of getting/making a python... Reply with quote

So, I just discovered the wondeful thing called a python (LOL, I was so confused previously when people on this board talked about getting out their python to do water changes! Laughing ). Anyway, I'm trying to figure out whether I want to buy one or make one.

My first question: Is it possible to attach a hose to the pump thing so that when I'm siphoning water out, I can redirect it somewhere other than my sink? We want to run a hose from the bottom of the python pump into our sump so it doesn't run directly into the sewer (costs $90 every time we have to get it pumped Mad ).

Secondly: Would you say the DIY pythons work just as well as the "real" one?

Thirdly: What kind of hose should I buy if I go the DIY route?

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.26(Wed)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just buy one with long enough hose to re-direct the water. I have one with 30' hose that I can dump the water into my garden. The cost is about $30. If you need longer hose, you can buy additional with a connector too.
MCHRKiller
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.27(Thu)5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as making a python goes IMO it would be cheaper to just buy one, I think that Lees makes a generic version but walmart sells 25ft pythons for less than 30dollars. As for re-directing the water siphoning out...I'm sure you could rig up something with a large piece of hose and some clamps to run it into another area like a large bin but then that would kind of defeat the purpose of having a python since the idea of it is to be lazy and watch it do the work for you. Wink
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.27(Thu)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nike,
The hardest part of a DIY python is creating the venturi component, the part that attaches to the tap. If you live near a well stocked LFS you can buy just that part although (if you add up all the individual pieces and hoses) it is probably just as cheap to buy the kit as MCHR suggests. I have a Lee's product that was cheaper and works just as well.
To redirect the outflow of the python simply use a garden hose. Attach it (the hose) to the sink and run it to wherever you want the python to empty. Now attach the python to the garden hose. The python will now empty in that spot.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.27(Thu)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now attach the python to the garden hose. The python will now empty in that spot.

Fantastic! Why didn't I think of that? Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.27(Thu)16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who has replied is correct in that it would be cheaper to buy/order a Python, but I built this just to see if it would work. It does work, quite well I might add, and now I have a replacement for my original Python faucet pump, should it break.

The only issue I ran into is when refilling the tank; you must keep the faucet pressure down because unlike the Python pump, there isn't any back pressure release areas. To explain this better, when you close the ball-valve on the Python near the gravel vac end, it builds up back pressure. The Python supplied faucet pump is not well sealed and allows the back pressure to escape around the bottom of the pump. I couldn't repeat this capability in my DIY project.

Anyway, without further adieu, here is a step-by-step instruction with a parts list on how to build this DIY faucet pump.

It seems like every time I use my Python
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: