Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish stocking
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
johnjohn
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.04.01(Tue)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20 gallon tank which was populated by two black moors. One of them got stuck between a rock and the filter and I had to Euthanize him because he was really badly injured . The thing is that I never had issues with the water parameters and they were always healthy until this gruesome accident.

I performed 50 % weekly water changes and I only fed them 4 times a week. That is why the water was kept in nearly pristine conditions. However, I was planning to buy a larger tank eventually so they could have more space to swim.

The remaining black moor is still very healthy and vivacious, but I won't buy him another goldfish as tank mate. He will stay in his 20 gallon tank alone until he outgrows it. I will feed him once a day now, and I will perform 25% water changes instead of 50%. Needles to say, I removed the rock that killed his partner along with other decorations that might hurt him in the future.

So getting back to the original question; you might get away with having one small/medium size goldfish in a 10 gallon tank without ammonia problems. However, the fish will grow so investing in a 20 gallons per adult fish would be wiser. Remember, the more water your fish has, the less maintenance will be required on your part... Razz
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: