Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish stocking
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Avalon_Princess
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.17(Mon)23:09    Post subject: Goldfish stocking Reply with quote

This is more curiousity then anything else (and so I don't amke a mistake if I comment on someones tanks LOL) what does this forum use for a rule of thumb when stocking fancy goldfish? I know some forums use 10g per fancy, others say 20g for the first, an extra 10 for each after, and others will say don't keep them in tanks at all.

So what's this forums views on stocking the fancy double tailed goldies?
200l tropical community
truestar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.18(Tue)23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a 20 gallon at least for 1, and add 10 gallons for every one after that. This all depends on the filtration and water changes though.
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.19(Wed)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a bare MINIMUM of 20g, but I would never put one in that size tank. The fake pond at my LFS has them, and they are WAAY too big for a 20g, so don't keep them in there at adult size.

Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
Cardinal Tetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.22(Sat)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums don't have specific rule of thumb, it's based on members views. I agree with 20 Gallons minimum for the 1st goldfish, then 10 gallons for every additonal goldfish. In the past, this has worked for me.

With goldfish, having an excellent filtration system and keeping up with water changes is very important, as they are heavy waste producers.

For aquariums, I only recomend fancy goldfish. I have other varities in my pond such as common and comet, and I would never put them in an aquarium, too large and active.
Avalon_Princess
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.22(Sat)21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of forums do though, and you get pounced on if you say anything different.

Oky dokes thanks for that, I personally go for 20g per goldie, but that's coz the nitrates were going sky high with more goldies then that in the tank.
200l tropical community
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.22(Sat)22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pretty good advice.

I am three things. A long time Goldfish person. Lazy. Unlucky.

If there is one thing that I have learned, and that has saved my sorry self, is understock.

The more water and less fish you can deal with the better. A lot of water and space is a barrier between you, your fish, and disaster.

Goldfish get very large (and it does not take long) and live a long time so think about the future near and far.
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.26(Wed)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about how they sell Goldfish.

At Petsmart here in town they have a 40G tank filled with Goldfish.
And when I say filled I mean FILLED Solid!

There are always about 10 dead fish in the tank at any one time.

So my question is, do the breeders of Goldfish have such a monster supply that a store all the way up at the top of North Dakota can still get them so cheap that it's a case of "who cares?' as far as that fish goes?

Or, do the Goldfish come from the breeders who also over-scock the tanks like this?

I guess I'm really asking, do the Goldfish that come from the breeders grow up in tanks that are as over-stocked as we see in even a higher end store here in my town?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.26(Wed)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just like feeder guppies, the chain stores stock them in such large bunches because they are mass-produced and cheap and don't care if they lose a 4 cent fish because there are always people to unknowingly buy the live ones for their small tanks, some stores even encourage overstocking with multiples.
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.26(Wed)13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm really asking about the breeders grow their goldfish in the same over-stocked situations?

The reason I ask is that I can not believe that a breeder or a shipper or even the store would stock the fish for sale in over-stocked tanks, (as they do) unless no one up the chain had a problem with it.

I guess the thing I keep thinking is that, Perhaps this is how the breeders grow goldfish?

And that this is why no one seems to notice or care?
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.26(Wed)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as with any business, a pet stores function is to make money...hopefully lots of it.

To give you a for instance. If you are breeding Goldfish at home, in tanks, it is typical to have a couple of 40s, that are bare, to use as grow out tanks. If two fancies are sucessful there will be about 1000 to 1500 eggs. The resulting fry are culled (to the Oscar) very quickly down (6 weeks) to (if you are lucky) about 20 good quality fry. This means daily WCs and constant baby Brine Shrimp processing.

Feeders, or actually commons, are usually bait fish and are raised in outdoor ponds and sold to hobbyists or fishermen for pennies apiece. If something is sold cheap it must be easy to raise because it is not being handled out of the goodness of someones heart. Cheap and easy and profitable are the keys here. The experience and attitude of store clerks is a whole other story.

If you ever have the oppurtunity to watch a pond of Goldfish you will see many young fish especially in the Spring. The population will continually diminish until few if any survive. Any surviving fry can grow at a phenominal rate, so it is possible under the right conditions to have fish 3 or 4 inches or more by fall. This is why we are not over run with Goldfish. It is difficult for most predators to capture small Goldfish in a pond, indeed a human with a net does not find it easy.

Hundreds of thousands of Goldfish in a pond that is drained down for harvesting can be caught in nets or with shovel like tools so. no one that works in the industry cares about a few fish. The mortality of fish in the decorative fish trade is very high so in order to keep the proftis up costs must be kept down.

It can be graphed such that the losses can be balanced against the potential return to realize a profit. Whether sophisticated marketing techniques are used or it is based on empirical evidence, profit drives the industry. The container size and food supply are optimum. Optimum does not relate to fish well being but to return.

So! Alway keep in mind that, regardless of original or stated goals, your attitude toward aquatic critters and the businesses you buy them from are different. This is neither bad nor good it is just reality. Just remember.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: