Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What would be the best type of filter for young goldfish?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tegs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)4:42    Post subject: What would be the best type of filter for young goldfish? Reply with quote

I have 12 one year old goldfish fry, some are only a cm long while others are 4cm long. I'm moving them to a bigger tank and I would like to know what filter would best suit as I'm scared of getting a filter which suck in my littler fry.
-Tegs

note: I apologise if I have posted this topic in the wrong forum.
Avalon_Princess
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a hang on back filter with my goldies, it easily does ten times turn over and they have no problem with the current, Inca the smallest is barely an inch and he has no problem sitting right next to the intake, his tail doesn't get sucked in or anything. If you're worried put a piece of pantyhose or sponge over the intakes.
200l tropical community
tegs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it Very Happy
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice is good.

The size difference of your fish is not good. The bigger tank will help and try to keep the WCs at about 25% a week at least. The size of your Goldfish should be a bit more, especially the 1cm ones.

A sponge filter is noisy any does not look too good but they work fine and do not suck up small fish. Your larger fish should not have trouble with the HOB but the little guys might unless you cover the intake with a net or sponge. Increase the Wcs and tank size and you will be amazed at the growth rate.

My brother bought some feeders for his pond and the fish tripled in size in a month. We took some out after a year and they were 18 inch (45cm) 1 1/2 pounds (168g) apiece.
tegs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I was worried about the little one, but hopefully once he gets in a the bigger tank he will start growing a bit more.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is their current tank? How big will the new one be? This is key to what filter would be good.
tegs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their current tank is 21.9L (5.8 gal) I will be moving them to a 117L tank (31 gal).
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.16(Sun)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

A HOB filter would be good on the new tank but only a sponge could really fit in their current tank.

The reason they are so small is that they are in a WAY to small of tank for them. Even the 31 gallon won't be big enough for them long term. Common goldfish can get a foot to a foot and a half. I would suggest you get them a pond or take them back and try a new type of fish. 12 goldies are too big for most home aquaria anyway.
tegs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.17(Mon)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacko wrote:
A HOB filter would be good on the new tank but only a sponge could really fit in their current tank.

The reason they are so small is that they are in a WAY to small of tank for them. Even the 31 gallon won't be big enough for them long term. Common goldfish can get a foot to a foot and a half. I would suggest you get them a pond or take them back and try a new type of fish. 12 goldies are too big for most home aquaria anyway.

Hi Jacko,
At the moment I have a sponge filter, yesterday my parents and I went out and decided on getting a 244L tank (64,6 gal). I do have much larger fry then whats in the tank which I have moved into our pond, they are growing well. I'm hoping the size tank we will be getting is suitable for at least a few of them, as they will moved into our pond as they grow. Although I don't know what you mean by "take them back" as they are fry from the goldfish from our pond which I have spent time and money to raise and most importantly I could never sell them, they are my babies Smile do realise the tank was way small and that is because we never really planned on moving the fry into a tank so it was bought as a temporary tank until we could find something more suitable.
Thanks for the advice about the filter and do you think the 244L tank is suitable for at least a few goldies?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.17(Mon)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be untill they are big enough for the pond since they are still goldfish and get big and poop a lot. If you absolutely wanted to keep goldfish inside I would say go with a few of the fancy varieties because they don't get as big.

What do you plan on putting in the 5 gallon once they are moved?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: