Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Behind the Curtains of Responsible Fish-Keeping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nes999
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.07(Fri)2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusko wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't want someone with state of the art knowledge of 10 or even 5 years ago entering my home to try and see if my fish are being cared for.

I agree! I wouldn't allow the state officials to do it, no way, but wouldn't mind the Local Aquarium Society/Org to do it from time to time (this could be discussed a bit more).

Lets say this, the other day I explained a guy that Fancy Goldfish is a bad idea for a 10 galls and that he could be better off stocking with fish like most Tetras, Rasboras, Barbs... fish which doesn't exceed 5-6 cm when fully grown.
He was insulted and asked this:
"Are you saying that you are not going to sell me this fish"!!
Since there is no law in Sweden stating that LFS employee can say NO to an irresponsible customer, this guy went out of my shop with 3 goldfish!!
If I could have said NO, I would have saved 3 Fancy Goldfish. Of course there are more people which actually listen and in many cases return the goldfish to my shop and get some smaller species instead.

I don't know... this is not a simple issue. But I am sure there is a solution to it.

Regards, Dusko

I wish I had works near me more like you. only one of my pet stores care for his fish and only the owner really takes the time to educate. witch I do like because he got some irr sharks and he told more then I wanted to know about them. he enables my curious mind Smile
CSnyder00
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.11(Tue)10:21    Post subject: Encouraging Reply with quote

Here's an encouraging story. I went to PetSmart yesterday and found a well-informed fish keeper back at the fish department. She was quick to point out peoples mistakes for what they were buying and turn them towards a better alternative. I told her I had an EBJD and that I had 8 Harlequin Rasbora and she was very quick to tell me they would be bait until she learned they were in separate tanks. Interestingly I also found an LFS that was successfully breeding fish in the second story of their shop and that I had bought some locally bred Albino Cory Cats from them. I think in this area (Pittsburgh, PA) there are some very informed people who are trying to make a difference.
 Forum Index > Aquarium Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jump to: