Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
goldfish safe plants
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
urnie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)14:49    Post subject: goldfish safe plants Reply with quote

what are some common plants that goldfish won't eat. I was thinking of getting some giant anubias and java fern.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately no plant is safe from Goldfish.

The choices that you have made are better than most but they too can be eaten if the Goldfish want to.

I have tried Hornwort, Java Fern, Annubias, Swords and other hard leaved or fast growing plants. Being hard to eat or unpalatable has not stopped the fish from uprooting the plants or eventually eating them but it helps.

Sometimes plants will last for years and other times the fish seem to eat them rather quickly. At times very fast growth seems to help outpace being eaten.

Goldfish seem to enjoy Duckweed and Elodea (or Anacharis, Egeria whatever) and hobbyists raise it as a treat for the fish. Bear in mind that the fast growing floaters accumulate a lot of bad stuff and if it is fed to fish it becomes a part of the eco-system until you take it out with cleaning (Siphoning) and water changes.
urnie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there are currently only 2 common goldfish in the tank, which is a 55 gallon. they exhibit "digging bevavior" but its not like they are constantly messing with the substrate. will these factors make it less likely that the fish will destory the plants?
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.09(Sun)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible. Each fish is a unique personality. Who knows why they do anything. Usually most behaviors are connected to trying to get by in fish terms but it is never a sure thing.

I have been trying to keep plants and Goldfish for many years. Most of the time the fish win.

If your fish do not have obnoxious habits towards plants you may be on to a good thing. Try it and keep us posted with results, good or bad.
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.10(Mon)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacharis works great in my pond. It's definitely goldfish safe.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.10(Mon)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be fooled.

Remember what I said about rapid growth outpacing eating?

The Anacharis is probably floating and is getting extraordinary amounts of light and CO2 and is growing at an extremely rapid rate.

I do not buy Anacharis or Egeria anymore
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.10(Mon)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, there is no goldfish safe plant for the home aquarium. The only things that have avoided my goldfish (only to be eaten by cats Rolling Eyes ) were water-lilies, dinosaur plants (can't remember the scientific name) and water hyacinths (sp?). All of which are pond plants.

I have tried Anacharis in my pond, it got chowed down on so I tried milfoil too. This is stuff from a local lake bed that made them shut down swimming and boating because people would get stuck in it when swimming and boaters would have their propellers tangle. Anyway they cleaned out a huge amount of it all and within 3 weeks the lake was shut down again. If you see my point of how fast it grows and how strong it is.

The milfoil lasted 2 weeks. Schade...
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.11(Tue)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct that anacharis has accelerated growth in a pond. In my experiences it is not a true statement that goldfish devour it. I have a pond with commons and comets, none of which care to eat the anacharis. They do enjoy eating algae on the sides of the pond. It might be the case if there were no algae. I've also had anacharis and amazon swords in the aquarium with the same species of fish. They ate the swords, left the anacharis and started eating the algae. It seems they prefer the algae over anacharis.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.11(Tue)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange behavior for Goldfish. Over the last several decades of keeping Goldfish in tanks and ponds my experience is just the exact opposite. As I have said each fish is unique as is every situation so anything is possible. I know what my experience is and do not doubt Jackos or yours.

I have always thought that the eating of Algae and bugs was the reason why the Goldfish are so much more colorful after being brought in from outside. Maybe Algae eating could alter their usual behavior?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.11(Tue)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, my goldfish won't touch algae untill it is dead! Rolling Eyes Wish they did, we get hair algae that is easily 5 inches for each strand. We treat with an algae killer for ponds and then the algae turns brown and the fish will then eat it.

My pond isn't warm enough for anything else than lilies and a few plants.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: