Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
can a small fantail fit....?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
air_incarnate
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)12:01    Post subject: can a small fantail fit....? Reply with quote

I have a 2.5 gallon tank and would like to put a goldfish in it - is it possible to keep, say, a single small fantail in a tank that size if it is heated and filtered? Rolling Eyes
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, A small fantail is a baby one & needs at least ten gallons of filtered tank space as even the smallest varieties grow to the size of a tennis ball.
If you have a filtered & heated 2.5g tank it could house a Betta or a pair of a small killifish species.
air_incarnate
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I wondered if they might be juveniles and not a smaller variety. Do you know if there are any "small" varieties?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennis ball sized is the smallest Laughing

They can get this big;-

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/images/Bruce.jpg
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people keep Goldfish in small tanks and I have seen some big fish in little bitty tanks and cannot figure how they do it.

All Goldfish get big and can live a long time (fifteen years is not unusual) so as always think about where the back door is. If, for example you are twenty now the fish should live until you are 35 or more when it will have to be euthanized or disposed of. Killing an ailing pet is no fun and dealing with other live creatures over a long term is not easy. Spouses and Employers may not want to consider distractions. I know that this is futuristic and may be different from what you have planned but, like for most of us, reality can be different than what we planned.

The advice is good and I am sure not what you wanted to hear but it is still good advice nonetheless.

Good luck.
sam_17
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.21(Fri)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made the mistake of putting goldfish in tanks that size before and they all died quickly. also goldfish don't like heaters because they need lots of oxygen and hot water has less and also it will cause them stress.
________
buy easy vape vaporizer

Last edited by sam_17 on 2011.02.03(Thu)6:17; edited 1 time in total
Avalon_Princess
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.21(Fri)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a heater for my goldies, it's only set at 18-20 degrees celsius but it helps to keep the temperature stable, so their aren't any huge swings.
200l tropical community
Miss Priss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.16(Sat)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use heaters for my goldie tanks. The fancy goldfish cannot stand the low temps. like the commons can.
Miss Priss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.16(Sat)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use heaters for my goldie tanks. The fancy goldfish cannot stand the low temps. like the commons can. But to answer the original question, no. Fancy goldfish (orandas, ryukins, telescope eyes, etc.) need at least a 20 gal. to grow comfortably. Stunting usually happens if they are housed too small and they produce SOOOO much waste it would be like living in it's own little toilet.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: