Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
goldfish emergency
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishlover301
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.07(Fri)19:26    Post subject: goldfish emergency Reply with quote

OK I have a 30 gallon tank with 4 goldfish and 4 peppered cories. today my medium sized moor (really fat) started swimming weird. she like trys to swim down and then all of a sudden fly back to the surface while tryin to swim down. and when she gets to the top she lays on her side and trys to grab a bunch of air and she keeps havin these bubbles of air comin out of her mouth. like burps or sumtin...I don't know pleaseeee help Confused Crying or Very sad Confused Crying or Very sad Confused Crying or Very sad Confused Crying or Very sad Confused Crying or Very sad
Miss Priss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.08(Sat)0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a swim bladder problem. It can be caused by constipation or taking too much air in with the food when feeding and I don't know what all. I would definitely fast the fish (don't feed them at all) for one day (I've read to do it up to three days) and then the next day feed them blanched peas (I've also read to do this for up to three days).

To blanch the peas (I use frozen peas but you could use pre-cooked peas I think) you can either microwave them or boil them for a short time. You just want them to sink is all (no floating peas). Then remove the shells from the peas and cut them to bite-sized pieces and feed them to the fish.

Hopefully this will help a lot. Let us know. What are the nitrAtes in your tank at? Sometimes goldies can be very sensitive to nitrAtes and develop swim bladder problems from pretty low amounts of nitrAtes.

I've also heard of using codliver oil in the fishs' mouth but I don't know how to do that. Here are some articles for you to read on the subject.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Swim%20Bladder%20Disorder.html

http://www.geocities.com/swimbladderhelp/index.html
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: