Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any humane way to put a fish to sleep?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
COMETESS
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.04(Tue)22:54    Post subject: Any humane way to put a fish to sleep? Reply with quote

My lionhead goldfish has been listing on one side at the bottom of the tank for almost the last 2 months. Some said she has swimming bladder problem and regrettably its hard to cure, whilst other has no ideal. I have followed the advise of some by feeding her pea shell but it doesn
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.04(Tue)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Is the fish putting other fish at risk? (I.e. bacterial infections spreading etc.)

If this fish is not putting your others at risk, I would just let it live out it's last days as comfortably as possible.

Still, if you wish to euthanize your fish, I've read that a mixture of clove oil and tank water will gently put them to sleep, then place the fish in a bag and put it in the freezer. Since the fish is cold blooded, even if it is still alive after the clove oil, it will fall asleep in the cold environment.

I don't use the term "fall alseep" as a nice way for slow, painful death. They really do just nod off into unconsciousness.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your fish and the decision to euthanize, but it is your fish, not mine.

Best of luck,
Doc

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.12.04(Tue)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this has to happen to you.

The most (in my opinion) humane way to put the fish down would be Clove Oil, you can get it from a health food store. You give them a bath in it and they painlessly die. Much better than freezing him or flushing him or pushing a thumb-tack into his head.

Best wishes and again, sorry about him. Sad
Jacko
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.04(Tue)23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that. Read this topic and then feel free to ask for more details if necessary:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=39935&highlight=euthanasia

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
COMETESS
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.05(Wed)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for opinion. Boo hoo hoo sob sob.
COMETESS
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.05(Wed)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

BTW, what is the mixture of clove oil and tank water? Thanks
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.05(Wed)18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I really have no idea how much of each to add, hopefully someone will know and reply. Marcos? Any ideas?

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.05(Wed)21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used the clove method, only alcohol - I don't know what size is your goldfish, but for small enough fish, just put it in a separate recipient with an appropriate amount of water from the tank itself (say, 1 liter) then add about 10% (100 ml) of pure alcohol or 20% (200 ml) of vodka. It's very peaceful and quiet...the fish goes numb almost immediately, lies at the bottom and stops breathing within a minute.

COMETESS
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.05(Wed)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos Avila wrote:
I've never used the clove method, only alcohol - I don't know what size is your goldfish, but for small enough fish, just put it in a separate recipient with an appropriate amount of water from the tank itself (say, 1 liter) then add about 10% (100 ml) of pure alcohol or 20% (200 ml) of vodka. It's very peaceful and quiet...the fish goes numb almost immediately, lies at the bottom and stops breathing within a minute.

Hi Marcos and Doc,

Correct me if I'm wrong. Whether use clove oil or alcohol and if the fish die within a minute, isn't it a minute too long? Isn't it the fish eye, grill will suffer as the alcohol gets into her eyes (moreover without eyelid)? Imagine we pour alcohol into our eyes!!

My lionhead is about 3.5", still in her teens. I would thought of smashing her head, at least die in an instance in 1 to 2 sec, but just can't bring myself of doing it.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.12.05(Wed)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, like I said the fish goes numb almost immediately...from then on it's "passed out" so there's no suffering in the minute it takes to stop breathing.

But notice: that's why I'm calling attention to a dosage for the alcohol around 10% - comparable to wines/beers - so it's enough to get into the bloodstream and enebriate/intoxicate without the burning feeling that you get if the cell tissue is in contact with concentrated or pure alcohol. Think about your own mouth as a reference...the feeling it gets when drinking a beer/wine vs. that of drinking vodka/Absinth etc...

Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: