Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 29g journal
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Daniel K.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.09(Mon)16:02    Post subject: My 29g journal Reply with quote

I recently bought a 29 gallon because I had been looking and it was a good deal. Now the tanks been up for about a month, for a couple weeks it was only java fern growing in there, unattached because there is nothing to attach it to, recently I added cabomba carolinia. the java fern is putting on new leaves the tank has plain gravel with laterite mixed in a 40w bulb from the lamp on for 12 hours and no co2
latest test results(taken 7/9/07)
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrate-5ppm
nitrite-0ppm
pH-7.6
hardness(GH)-300ppm
here are some pictures taken today 6/9/07

sorry if some of the pictures are blurry I'm an aquarist not a photographer
okay and if any of have suggestions on ways to improve the tank or fish to add when I'm ready feel free. I'm thinking maybe on keeping appistos so if anyone could tell me if they will do okay in the water I have and if they are aggresive I would be thankful , Coryguy

Last edited by Daniel K. on 2007.07.12(Thu)16:41; edited 1 time in total
FineGents
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.09(Mon)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a nice piece of driftwood would be nice, or you could get a small piece to attatch the javafern to and then hide the rest of the wood with other plants or rocks.
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.09(Mon)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Fingents. A nice driftwood centerpiece would fill the tank in very nicely. Also, have you considered adding a Cryptocoryne species or two? They do well in almost all lighting conditions and fill in the mid and foreground.

I have never kept apistos, but I know they can be difficult to manage. A nice alternative to them is the Kribensis, Pelvicachromis pulcher. They are a very beautiful fish with a similar body shape and breeding habits to Apistogramma sp. I have kept these fish in the past, and they are a very rewarding species. They can, however, become aggressive while breeding, but the aggression varies between pairs.

A decent size school of tetras [8-12] would make a colorful addition to fill in the upper and mid water.

Your tank looks very nice now, keep up the good work!
dwacudo1
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I agree that a piece of diffwopod would nice cherry barbs would do nicely because of the plants in there may even breed or some rams would be nice also and some kind of a carpet plant would be nice with that piece of diffwood hope I helped and keep that backdrop it goes well with that gravel doing good so far
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah driftwood or some interesting rocks/ornament to fill the centre would look good (with java fern attached).

I think a shoal of about 12 cardinals and a pair of rams/kribs would look good.

The cabomba looks great Smile

Post more pics when you decide what your going to do with it, cheers Very Happy
Daniel K.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.12(Thu)16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

in answer to your suggestions , I actually have been looking for driftwood but havent found any I liked and also none of the nearby stores sells crypt species
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.15(Sun)13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered ordering plants and/or driftwood from an internet dealer? I have ordered plants from www.aquariumgarden.com several times and I have always been very satisfied with my order. I usually order Crypts from them, probably about 100 or so by now, and they all have florished once planted. I don't use fertilizers, nor do I have high lighting, but the crypts I have thrive all the same. Driftwood is harder to come by, but the search is worth it.
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.07.15(Sun)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find driftwood you like, what about a nice rock pile in the center? Make a nice cave from them or something.

Looking nice so far. Can't wait to see what you do in the future. Very Happy
spacecadet
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are selling nice driftwood with pics on aqua bid.
Daniel K.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.01.05(Sat)14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am proud to announce my return to AoA, no I haven't been in a coma Laughing , just busy with school. I am updating this thread with new pictures of my 29 gallon, currently empty but I am planning and making it into a home for a pair of Bolivian Rams and other assorted fish. Right now I have one moss ball and five or six java ferns, they just keep budding off new plants lol, I upgraded my light to a 65 watt power compact fixture with lunar lighting. I am ordering some carpet plants, I think I want dwarf hairgrass, from my lfs which should come next week. Feel free to make any comments about my tank, thank you.

my moss ball
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: