Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Adding water...
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Diggy5
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)11:58    Post subject: Adding water... Reply with quote

I thought I had asked this question before, but apperantly I havn't. I work in a hotel and we have an approx. 7,000G (26460L) pond as our lobby center piece. In the pond we keep 6 koi and 2 royal swans. The koi are about 9 years old and are about as long or longer than my forearm. All my fish keeping experience is in small aquariums and when adding water you must use a dechlorinator. I've noticed that when they add water to the pond it's straight out of the tap, I found this alarming and quite disturbing when I first saw them doing it but shortly noticed that it didn't show to have any ill effects on the fish. My question is with a pond of this size, do we need to using any type of water treatment? And if so, what type? Any help is apperciated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Koi are kinda small for the age that they are. Poor water quality might be the reason. The waste from the birds may be the cause. Small Koi are the norm in this country although they can and sometimes do get big.

Chlorine is not stable in water. Chlorine is put in the water to suppress certain types of critters. Chlorine will not stay in water very long. If water with chlorine is warmed, agitated or just allowed to sit in the open the gas will come out and dissipate into the atmosphere.

If the water changes are relatively small and the water gets agitated there is not much chlorine left. Chlorine will harm live things usually by burning (chlorine is an oxidizer) the gills that fish use to "breathe" with. Having your gills burned is similar to WWI veterans who got their lungs ruined by the first uses of "War gases" and lived in agony the rest of their lives and remember we are talking about, mostly, children. Burning the gills of fish is not nice even though the fish can live for quite a while, depending upon the extent of the damage. According to some reports Koi can live a long, long time.

The creatures in the Hotel pond are there solely to help the business make money and if thay die they just get replaced.
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)22:23    Post subject: Re: Adding water... Reply with quote

Diggy5 wrote:
I thought I had asked this question before, but apperantly I havn't. I work in a hotel and we have an approx. 7,000G (26460L) pond as our lobby center piece.

I've noticed that when they add water to the pond it's straight out of the tap, !

With a pond the size of such as you speak of, there is a need to "top off" the water levels all the time.

As long as you don't need to add too much water there is nothing at all wrong with normal tap water.
I mean there is really nothing else to use at a hotel anyway.

If a water change of about 1/3 or more were needed then you well could harm the fish unless you took some care and did the steps you need to do to protect the fish.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: