Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dumbest Fish Keeping Mistakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)0:39    Post subject: Dumbest Fish Keeping Mistakes Reply with quote

So far, I've done a water change and then realized I had no water conditioner, as well as not washing a lid I was putting in to seed my new tank with the bacteria on the gravel from my other tank! Soapy film on the water surface Shocked Ended up with 2 dead zebra danios, I'm amazed the other 6 lived!

*edit* I also forgot to plug the heater back in, and awoke the next morning to a 20C tank!

What about you guys?

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!

Last edited by Doc Daneeka on 2007.11.26(Mon)18:10; edited 1 time in total
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Forgotten to add water conditioner once... remembered about an hour later...

2) forgotten to plug the heater back in after a water change, left it off for a couple of days before realising that the tank was below 19 degrees (66F) for a betta... luckily no deaths.

3) I knew I had to cycle for a month, but thought this meant set up the tank, add plants, then let it run for a month before adding fish. So much for fishless cycling... (2 gourami deaths, 1 rasbora death and 1 oto death)

4) Fed live food, without rinsing/draining it, so basically adding all that smelly water to my tank.

I'm sure many more will come along, but may not admit it :p
Nova_C
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAllain, your first two aren't terrible, depending.

If it was a small water change, the water would be diluted enough that the chlorine wouldn't be likely to do much harm. Of course, if it was a larger water change, then yeah.

As far as the heater goes, cold blooded animals are okay for short periods in colder temperatures. It's just that over the long term they develop problems since their metabolism requires external warmth. At least, this is my experience (I had a heater fail a couple months after stocking my tank and the water was at room temp for a couple days. No harm done). I might be talking out my @$$, though.

My biggest mistake was pretty much stocking what I wanted without researching when I first got started. A bichir and some Balas in a 55g? Yeah, good idea.
shubapie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. cycled my first tank with fish, then added more fish during the cycle, thinking it was finished because I wasn't seeing nitrite come up (I thought it was over, when it was just getting started). Amazingly, most of the fish survived.

2. have left the heater unplugged on numerous occasions, the worst of which I remembered after the temp was around 65 degrees - one sluggish betta, no deaths even though I freaked and raised the temp quickly with hot water.... Shocked

3. played chemist as a newb, causing huge pH swings

And probably more that I've blocked out... Laughing
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I'm probably still making many of those mistakes, which is why I'm so happy I found this board!

1) The first time I ever had fish (in college) it was two goldfish in a bowl. Left for the weekend, came back, what a smell... Sad Sad

2) After that I got a small (5g) filtered tank from Wal-Mart (ready made kit) and threw in a betta and some cardinal tetras the same day. The betta picked off the tetras one by one, until only one poor little guy remained. I felt bad for him and picked up a couple new friends for him (I was told they needed to be in "schools" of at least three LOL), which the betta proceeded to hunt down and kill. You would think I would've thought to just return the one remaining cardinal tetra rather than buying new "toys" for my betta. I don't know whether it was the same tetra outsmarting the betta every time, or if it was a new one, but there was always one the betta didn't get. Either that, or the Betta figured out that if he killed them all, I wouldn't keep restocking the tank . . . Shocked

3) By the time I returned home from college, I had upgradted to a 10 gallon tank with numerous fish (including several angels given to me by the Zoology professor. I simply drained most of the water out of the tank and left the fish in... they had quite a ride home in the backseat of my car! Amazingly, all survived. My parents got a 20g tank and gave a couple of the angels to a friend with a 40g. (still no clue about cycling! Until I started doing research on the net, I thought all you needed to do was buy a tank, set it up and leave it for 24 hours, then add fish!)

4) My most recent venture with fish began this past spring when I picked up the (long empty) 20 gallon from my parents, set it up for about a week, then went to Petco and picked up a dwarf gourami, two gold gouramis, a neon tetra, three glass bloodfin tetras, two glowlight danios, and a pictus catfish (although the Petco gal gave me a columbian shark by mistake). I only lost a few fish and have expanded to three tanks (the 20g and two 55g). That Petco girl who told me all the fish would "get along just fine" has cost me a lot of money, but I'm kinda thankful for the excuse to buy more tanks. Wink

and, most recently:

5) Last night I decided that I could catch 3 zebra danios in a 55g tank with decorations (including rock caves and fake plants). I caught one by surprise and chased the other two around for about 2 1/2 hours (though I'd take breaks for awhile and then come back and try to surprise the remaining two). You'll notice from my profile that I now have 2 zebra danios in one 55g and 1 zebra danio in the other 55g. Confused Tonight I'll be stopping at the LFS to pick up some more zebra danios so the one lil guy isn't lonely (I was planning to get more anyway). I'll once again attempt to catch the renegades (I really, really don't want to take down those caves!). I've already threatened them that I'll leave them in there when I buy my cichlids... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I dosed nutrients with a fertiliser for potted plants, just to test...NO2 (Nitrite) over the roof = dead fish.

Never ever think about using ferts for potted plants Embarassed instead, for aquarium use ONLY!

Regards, Dusko.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first tank I kept two Lemon Cichlids, 1 Livingstonii, and 2 corys in an uncycled 10 gallon tank. Amazing enough I had them for around 10 months with only the instant deaths of the corys and slight bullying of the lemon cichlids. In fact I almost thought that one of the lemon cichlids was interbreeding with the livingstonii. The Lemons and Livingstonii died when I let my mom change the water, she happened to use chlorinated water that was around 105 degrees Fahrenheit to house them while she changed the water. After that I decided to study for about a year and a half before getting more fish. Now I know almost too much about fish.

Edit. spelling

Last edited by Un_Lu.cK_y on 2007.11.26(Mon)20:36; edited 1 time in total
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worst ever mistake was not joining AoA before I set up my tanks, contributing to these mistakes:

1.) Adding a Jack Dempsey to a 10 gallon tank, he was rehomed a month later in my teachers 75 gallon and then returning him to the store a little later that year. Another dumb mistake from not researching and getting help.

2.) Listening to my mom about fishkeeping, the rules and ideas behind fishkeeping has changed since the sixties! There is a ton more info out there now, outdated H.R.A books just don't cut it. Laughing

Personally, I have never used dechlor. in my tanks, except for the occasional time I remember to Rolling Eyes . But really, I have little to no chlorine in my local tap water, with very little anything in it, it is medium-soft and neutral.
Bolivian Ramage
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.26(Mon)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping a bichir in a tank with no glass hood and floating plants, yes, he climbed onto the plants, then used his "legs" to walk into my living room where I found my zhitzu barking at it terrified. HAHa he survived just fine..... the zhitzu lived as well.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.11.27(Tue)1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ever tank was a 5 gallon that I stocked with a three spot blue gourami. And I couldn't figure out why he kept killing any tankmates I tried to give him. I also don't think I ever did a water change. Except when we moved, I drained most of the water out and then refilled it when we got there. And he promptly died, probably from pH shock.

I can't believe he lived for 3 years like that. Tough fish. If you can hear me from up there George, I'm soooo sorry!!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: