Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my dream indoor pond (video)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.24(Sat)8:35    Post subject: my dream indoor pond (video) Reply with quote

I was reading some of the older topics on the forum and one caught my eye.
A person was seeking ideas for an indoor Koi pond.
However the topic was old and dead, so rather than drag up something dead it was suggested I start a new topic.

Here is my idea for an indoor pond design.

My basic idea is that most indoor ponds look dull.
They have a lot going against them because you can not really make an indoor pond look "natural" if it's in your basement.
I mean, whats "natural" in the basement anyway?
It would look foolish to plant trees in the basement, or add any really any plants at all because it's always going to look weird to have a trees and stuff growing in the basement. You would have to have big lights, and thats going to mean lots of glair and the fish nor any guest is just not going to enjoy themselves being there.
It's just going to be a big mess all the time to keep it looking like "it's outside' when no one is ever going to think it looks "natural"

But an aquarium in a basement is normal.

So my idea is to use a aquarium and pond in the same design.
You design a pond with an upside down aquarium out in the middle of it sticking up above the water level of the pond.

This upside down fish tank would have no bottom yet would be filled with water.
With no bottom the Koi could enter in to the aquarium whenever they wanted to get a look around at what people were doing.
Then if they want to go back to the pond they just swim down and there they are!

The image I have in my mind is a type of glass monolith (Like in the movie 2001) filled with fish.
Koi tend to gang up whenever they think you are going to feed them, and if you only feed them via the upside down tank this will cause them to rush up into there when they see you.

It would be a interesting thing for the Koi .
It would make their lives in the basement pond more fun for them.
And it would allow people to see the Koi not only from above as in a pond, but also from the side as in an aquarium.

It's the best of both worlds!
You take a pond like this - http://youtube.com/watch?v=YBx682QTLoM
and out in the middle add an aquarium like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGXfIz_mIcw

anyway thats my idea for the dream indoor Koi pond.
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.28(Wed)0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool! I've never seen anything like that before! I hope it works out well for you, and keep us updated!

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.28(Wed)4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time I'm doing some testing of the idea.
While some tests seem to work, I have seen some proof that I may need to really think over how to design the tanks so that I get the effect I'm looking for.
Doc Daneeka
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.28(Wed)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and not to mention accessing the inside to clean it. You've done more research than I have, but it seems you may need to be able to completely drain the tall part in order to clean it, or have an excellent clean-up crew!

Fill me in on what your plan is Very Happy

Thanks for the avatar and sig Jun!
fishy-frenzy
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how the upside down aquarium will work. If you tried to fill it up the water would flow out the bottom of the tank, unless you made a vaccum that kept water in there constantly. I'm curious, if you are going to make one, how it will work.
artemis1
Members

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's a cool pond vid! I'd put something else in it though. Hope the pond thing works out for you.

Cheers,
Art
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishy-frenzy wrote:
I don't see how the upside down aquarium will work. If you tried to fill it up the water would flow out the bottom of the tank, unless you made a vaccum that kept water in there constantly. I'm curious, if you are going to make one, how it will work.

well, I have been thinking and doing some tests in my kitchen sink.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jclt8nNOYM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhIktKWukY
I am searching for a way to put some of my ideas to a more full-scale test.
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Daneeka wrote:
Yeah, and not to mention accessing the inside to clean it. Very Happy

As for cleaning the insides of the glass...
The truth is that except for the times when I do a major break down of an aquarium I have never really felt the need to clean the insides glass all that much.
I have used one of them magnets that scrub the inside glass and it seemed to work so I guess I would just use one of them if I needed to.

The water inside the upside down aquarium would always be clean as the upside down aquarium would be fully open at the bottom, there would be plenty of water exchange with the filtered water of the pond so thats taken care of.

Now due to me wanting to place the future aquarium/pond in a position that will get some sun so I can grow plants, I may find that from time to time I will need to scrub the inside glass.
But I don't think thats really going to be a problem because I could just reach into the pond and up into the upside down aquarium with a scrubber-stick and get to work cleaning the glass.
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another important part of my dream design for a future indoor Koi pond is...that it has to be portable.

This leads me to the idea that I will make use of one of them pre-formed ponds.
For most of the year the pond will be up in a porch, but during the winter I will like to move the Koi pond down into my basement where I can watch the Koi while I view the TV or play on the computer.

Tonight my wife and I went to shop for such a preformed pond and I found a 140 g pond for $50

I may think about that one in my plans.

Last edited by alan on 2007.12.01(Sat)23:16; edited 1 time in total
alan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.12.01(Sat)23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been kicking around a few ideas on how to run a pond filter for my dream indoor Koi pond, and I have an idea that I would like your views about.

Just for something to do I took a household submersible sump pump and connected it to a OMNI houeshold water filter with one of them carbon filters that filter down to 1.0 micron.

Any idea what this compares to?

What does such a carbon filter do to the normal tap water I would use for my dream pond?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: