Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Killifish for a 10 gallon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Un_Lu.cK_y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.20(Tue)22:30    Post subject: Killifish for a 10 gallon Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon tank that has been cycled for ~3 months. The livestock is presently 5 Cardinal Tetra's. I was planning on getting a pair of dwarf cichlids but I'm starting to rethink that. I was thinking I could get a pair of killifish but I'm not sure what kind to get.

What kind of Killifish is smallish, has good colors, can live fine with small tetra's, and breeds quite easily?

Tank specs.
p.H. ~7.4
Temp. 78
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.20(Tue)22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you want the kilis to breed then you will likely have to remove the tetras for any fry to survive, and also have a spawning mop.

Some of my favorites are:
1.) Clown Killifish - Pseudepiplatys annulatus
2.) Fundulopanchax gardneri
3.) Fundulopanchax oseri

And so many more, these are just some personals that are readily available to me, Noname has a lot more kilis and I hope he can add his input here, same with Susankat.
Un_Lu.cK_y
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.20(Tue)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help Jacko. I like how Clown Killifish look, and liveaquaria sells them so I might look into that. I will be getting a baby holder thing to put on the side of the tank, and I would keep them in it until I could sell them.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.11.20(Tue)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oseri is a hard killie to come by. Not very many people breed them. One of the best places to find them is through the American Killie Association, or at your local aquarium society. I am one of the lucky ones to have one of the biggest killie breeders in our club. She is known nationally. That is where I get most of mine from.

Noname has some nice killies also.

There is http://www.sheneskillies.com/ He has some that he sells and has lots of info on different killies and pictures.

Most killies are best kept in a species tank. these can range from 1 gal to 10 gal. Best to have a full lid on the tank as they can and will jump even out of the smallest hole. I had one jump from his tank and luckily went into an empty tank that I was setting up for cherry shrimp. The hole he jumped out of was less than an inch.

There are different breeding technics with killies, as some are peat spawner, plant spawners and mop spawners.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.20(Tue)23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol^ see what I mean? Laughing

All I know is that oseri are commonly available to me at my lfs, they have 15 + types of kilies, over half of which are fundulopanchax.
Miss Priss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.21(Wed)0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two gardeneris and they are fine with other fish except, it seems, for other fish with blue on them. The immediately (I mean did not waste a MINUTE) tried to kill some neons and also went after a neon rainbow. SCARY how committed they were to killing these other fish.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.11.21(Wed)1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacko wrote:
Lol^ see what I mean? Laughing

All I know is that oseri are commonly available to me at my lfs, they have 15 + types of kilies, over half of which are fundulopanchax.

Is this what you are seeing at the lfs.

This is the oseri. What you need to be careful with is to make sure that they are named right. From what I have read on different killie websites. The oseri is one of those that are near extinct in the wild and very few breeders. Most breeders will only sell to dedicated hobbiest to further expand the breed to make more available.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.21(Wed)15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that looks pretty much like it, my brother had a pair in a 10 gallon tank, they never bred and died about 4 months later, I never knew they were so hard to find, if I ever see them again I will pick up a few and try to breed them, or maybe just see if you want them Susan. Very Happy
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.11.21(Wed)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 8 of them right now. The pic is one of my fish. Mine breed readily, but I have been having a low survival rate, as I haven't been pulling the eggs. I don't have the room to keep that many fry. Even though they can be kept in things as small as a critter keeper, there is still a matter of room in which to put them.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.21(Wed)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

susankatomerit wrote:
Even though they can be kept in things as small as a critter keeper, there is still a matter of room in which to put them.

Pshhh... excuses. Laughing Why don't you just rent one of those public storage units and put some shelves in for lots of little kilifish? Laughing
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: