Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
This fish can survive out of water. Cool article.
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Heather2128
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.14(Wed)16:18    Post subject: This fish can survive out of water. Cool article. Reply with quote

Check out this Killifish, guys:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21792369/
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.15(Thu)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooow. That is truely amazing! Cool . I've heard of species living out of water, but not with a maintained metabloic rate. It's almost an amphibian!

Phil Wink
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2008.04.05(Sat)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late for the article, it seems, but was this a rivulus species? R. cylindraceous (I know I misspelled that Sad), to be precise? I've heard they are the real oddball killi, next to the brackish hermaphrodite one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.04.05(Sat)23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like our good friend Kryptolebias(previously Rivulus Rolling Eyes ) marmoratus. Yep, these are the hermaphrodites. I've toyed around the idea of setting up a mangrove setup for these little weirdos for ages...though the main problem is that you can only put one in as in captivity they seem quite territorial(I guess in the wild when starving and crammed head to tail in termite galleries or muddy crab holes they aren't much in the mood to fight?) They are probably the best fish for laboratories or classrooms wishing to study egg development...they can be kept alive and "happy" in little more than a wet petri dish.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.04.06(Sun)6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, appears the page is now no longer available. So this species is, just to confirm, Kryptolebias marmoratus?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2008.04.09(Wed)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. They are commonly found inside of mangrove logs, and according to this article, even stumps/snags with termite galleries can be used. I talked in email to a guy who studies these(I believe he's Dr. Bruce Turner?) and he says that splitting these logs reveals the little fish packed end to end inside the galleries.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: