Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Red Belly
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sdous
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.11.01(Thu)10:49    Post subject: Red Belly Reply with quote

Hi,
I have 3 red belly piranhas in a 150 gallons almost tank. Before 3 weaks they were still juvenile. Now they have grown up and became double! I concern because all the time the one chase the other and hit each other very often. Do anyone knows if they play or if the space is not enough and they are ready to eat each other? I plan to buy a bigger tank but later
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.15(Thu)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tank size is sufficient. Fifty gallons per piranha is ample space.What your seeing is normal behavior. Schooling behavior is strongly modified by their fear of each other. They swim about not to be directly in front of another to prevent an unforseen attack. Damaged fins are all too common with schoals. Keep them well fed; any white fish fillet,shrimp,squid,smelt,krill,pork,chicken is okay for adults. There are different species of reds. The more aggressive being serrasalmus medinei(spilopleura CF) should be kept alone. It is identified by the black humeral spot,slight concave head, and red color under the throat only. The Pygocentrus genus(similar in looks,no concave head): Notatus and Natteri(no spots) can be shoaled.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: