Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Golden Wonder Killifish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Obelisk
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.29(Mon)11:40    Post subject: Golden Wonder Killifish Reply with quote

I've recently seen some Golden Wonder killifish in a petstore. I've read up on them and found out that they should not be kept with small fish such as neon tetras. My question is: Would I be able to keep them in the same tank as kuhli loaches? I know that kuhlis are fairly small, so I just want to make sure that I would not be putting them in danger if I were to get the killifish. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
bonzo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.30(Tue)1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, golden wonder killi stay at the surface most of the time and kuhli loach stay at bottom. Providing hiding space and some fine gravel for them to dig and hide, there shouldn't be any problem. Best to keep kuhli in group so they will be more active.
Josh Hansen
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.10.30(Tue)6:38    Post subject: Gold Panchax Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about the gold panchax (yellow killie fish) the kuhli loaches stay at the bottom hidden in the gravel about 3/4 of the time so the panchax will not see them. Just remember when the panchax becomes bigger to adult size it become territorial and predatory on the surface where it has been eyewitness to have eaten an adult siamese fighter. Male panchax will fight each other over females so you will need higher ratio of females to males. In summary when you keep this golden panchax think carefully what other fish you keep at the fish tank surface.
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.30(Tue)6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I have no experience with the killifish, but reading this made me think about one thing...

You're saying that kuhlis stay at the bottom hidden, but our kuhlis, although they stay at the bottom a lot, every now and then go absolutely crazy swimming and wriggling around the whole tank.

If Obelisk's kuhlis act in the same way, are they not at risk on these occasions when they do come out?
Psyfalcon
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.10.30(Tue)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a female, it would be too small to eat a loach, never mind a Betta! Mine lived with cories and ate half inch Convict fry.

You're sure it was a Golden Wonder that ate one? It must have been huge.
Josh Hansen
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.02(Fri)4:57    Post subject: Panchax Reply with quote

To confirm if we are talking about the same fish I was wondering are you talking about Aplocheilus lineatus Golden panchax. Anyway this fish grows up to 12cm and is equivalents in size to size of giant diano or rainbow. Males are more golden yellow are very aggressive towards each other and need to kept with several females. Predatory of the water surface area of insects and other fishes.
Obelisk
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.04(Sun)10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are Aplocheilus linneatus. I read quite a few articles on them before I bought them. I bought 3 of them but had to return one because it was being particularly aggressive towards another one, which I'm pretty sure is a male. The 2 remaining ones I'm pretty sure are male and female. The female spends a lot of time near the bottom, and when she isn't she's following the male around, which spends all of his time at the surface. They're juveniles right now, but when they grow a little more I'm gonna remove the zebra danios from the tank where the killifish are and put them in my 20 gallon. Do you think the bamboo shrimp will be safe around them when they are adult size, or do you think I should move the shrimp to the 20 gallon as well?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.04(Sun)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom had 3 Golden Wonders in her 55, the big male was easily 4 inches at 3 years old. It ate a lot of her smaller fish like the baby rosy barbs and swordtails. The females are smaller and, from experience, the males do not get along well. They are pretty fish though, can you get any pictures?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.11.04(Sun)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOb8XWVbKs

Thats a short video of mine. I've posted a few pictures here too.

Very good at mosquito patrol, I got mine for a tub pond extermination, cleared up my problem over a weekend.
Obelisk
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.05(Mon)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, my digital camera isn't working anymore. It just makes 4 short little beeps when I try to turn it on now. But to give you an idea they're both almost an inch and a half long right now, which is good for the zebra danios that are in the tank right now.
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: