Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pond Insects?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blamus
Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.07(Sun)20:44    Post subject: Pond Insects? Reply with quote

Hey all, its been a few months since I built my 3000+ gallon pond and things have been going really well, all the inhabitants seem to be getting along and I haven't had any major problems minus algae from when my UV sterilizer went out. (replaced today, wooo)

So today I replaced my uv sterilizer and decided to clean out my filter while I was at it. I pulled the filter out from under the water and cracked it open and saw quite a lot of life in it. Some sort of insects are my best guess. They ranged from small like a spec of pepper to litte worm shrimp looking things to what almost looked like a full size cricket, alive and well, living inside my filter; underwater. That filter hasn't been out of the water for a month easily

Once I noticed that and cleaned it out I looked in the pond and these little shrimp type bugs are actually everywhere. They are really interesting, if you put your hand by the water they all flock to where your hand is.

What in the world are they?

I am in Southern California and currently living in the pond I have:

3 Pacu (10 - 11 inches)
1 Channel Catfish (13 - 14 inches)
3 TinFoil Barbs (8 - 10 inches)
1 Redeared Slider Turtle (6 inches)
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.10.14(Sun)21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be anything...a photo would help a bunch!
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2007.12.28(Fri)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen something like that in my pond to a smaller extent, And of course a dragonfly larvae, but thats it. Disturbing animals tend to enjoy living in filters, my filter sponge thingy used to be a bloodworm heaven. Shocked . Disgusting vermin, they were even in the center so I just dumped it but fed most of the worms to the fish. Most of these weird insects are harmless but if you see something abnormally big and spiky then you might want to do some research.
cichlidboy22
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.02.18(Mon)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally pond bugs are only beneficial to the ecosystem. They provide food for the fish and scrub the tank clean of bad things. The only bad thing is that dragonfly larva will eat things bigger than they are! They also bite and it hurts like heck.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2008.02.18(Mon)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone. Everyone summed it up pretty nicely, but like nonamethefish said, a picture wuld be very benificial (if you are very curious about exactly what they are).
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: