Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Overflow Drain Line Question
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Drimo
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.03(Wed)9:39    Post subject: Overflow Drain Line Question Reply with quote

Last weekend I purchased a 90 gallon corner overflow tank made by All-Glass. I had the option of purchasing the Megaflow plumbing kit or a kit built by the LFS. I opted for the LFS version because it contains a pre-filter sponge to trap debris while the Megaflow kit does not.

Anyway, I have a question about the plumbing and how the overflow will react in the event of a power failure. The setup I currently have for the drain line is simply a plastic piece of grated tubing about 3-4 inches long with a plastic sponge acting as a pre-filter. This sits about 6 inches above the bottom of the tank within the overflow box, so conceivably any water that is standing in the overflow will flow through the drain and into the sump.

The Megaflow kit contains a drain line that runs to the same height as the return line and is basically a j-tube. The advantage I see in this is that any water that is left standing in the overflow will not drain into the sump because it will have to be at the height of the entrance for the drain, but the disadvantage I have heard is that it can be difficult to create siphon action again after power has returned.

What in your experience is a better method to use? I am thinking that if people think it is not a big deal as long as my sump has enough space to accomodate its normal volume plus the volume of the overflow, I will leave it. Otherwise, I was thinking I might get some PVC to extend the drain upwards another foot.

Here is a diagram of the two setups I have described:
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.10.03(Wed)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference betwen the 2 setup you have shown is the current one you have now is going to be loud, the water will be crashing down making a lot of noise. Whereas the megaflow kit does not allow the water to crash down therefore making it much quieter. I run a esign close to the megaflow design and I don't have any issues with noise.
As far as performance there is no difference between the two.
Drimo
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.03(Wed)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. It will be easy to modify my current setup using some pvc and I want to reduce the noise, so I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.03(Wed)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current setup will be extremely loud. Your worry about recreating a siphon is no worry at all. The megaflow design is still not a siphon, but a gravity fed design. There is a simple DIY version that I am currently using that is wonderful and cheap, but kills the noise. It is easy to make if you are at all handy with a little pvc pipe and a couple fittings. Here is the Aquasilencer standpipe that can be done DIY. Check it out.
Drimo
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.03(Wed)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, wittd. That looks great! I'll give that a shot. Thank you for the suggestion!
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.10.03(Wed)23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drimo,
If I were you I would extend the PVC higher in the overflow box. Your box is probably plastic and silicone will be used to seal it to the tank. Silicone does not bind well to plastics and I have seen many beads "peel" away over time. If this occurs lower down you could possibly drain the tank as it is currently designed. Though the odds are low it is an easily correctable fault and there is no benefit to having the standpipe so low.
I've set up many Mega flow overflows for clients and like their design. The only flaw I've found is in the bulkheads supplied which are barbed instead of threaded.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: