Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
180 gallon fish tank journal! Woohoo done! 1/23
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Zeppelin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.12(Sun)18:56    Post subject: 180 gallon fish tank journal! Woohoo done! 1/23 Reply with quote

Hi, I just bought a used 180 gallon tank yesterday.

Plans:
sand down all stained wood and re-stain it.
Re silicone the tank, it is a 2 peice bottom,
remove the backround, repaint it blue, maybe black

The tank came with a cherry finish, very nice looking but because the tank is old I decided that I should sand it down, and put a oak finish onto it.
The tanks deminsions are 80L, 24W, 29H with .5inch glass.

So far, I have a week electric sander, with wossy grit paper, so it takes a very long time to get very little done. I got a little bit done, but not near where I was hoping to be. I am going to get ahold of a new sander so that I can get it done sometime this year.

not to far along in the project, but I love what I see so far.

Tank

Stand

Side

Sanding the stain off the tank

sanding the stand

My question to you people of AquaHobby is, what would you suggest for filtration and substrate??

The tank has some sort of a filter in the back of the tank, but I have no clue how to use it or what I need to get it working

Tanks inside filter, What would I need to run this puppy?

Here is another thing, the tank can not have a hang on filter because there is a top to the tank, the lights go under it so it looks all sealed off.
Picture

There are 2 holes through the glass and the wood that I could possibly do something with.

Holes in the back of the tank

If someone has any ideas, I wouldnt mind something very powerful for a filtration system, I want the water clear at all times.

As far as substrate, I was thinking of going with a mix of pool filter sand and gravel. Let me know what you think!

I will give this page an update asap

All comments, questions, and answers are GREATLY appreciated Cool

Thanks for looking-
Pete

P.S. if you could please post links of filter medias if you suggest them. Looking for something that will keep my fish healthy, water clean, and decently priced.

Last edited by Zeppelin on 2007.01.23(Tue)8:48; edited 6 times in total
rummy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.11.12(Sun)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

sick tank loks sweet oldish but will look awesome new , but the stand looks good beat up a little has that cool antique look , not saying its an old peice of crap lol just kidding

eny ways whatever u deside to do I'm sure it will look awesome, and cool orginal shape

rummy
Zeppelin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.12(Sun)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much rummy

Here are some filters I think may work on my tank.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUVAL-FX5-AQUARIUM-FILTER-NEW_W0QQitemZ230051034328QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230051034328
(not sure if it comes with everything that I need.)

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/Rena-Filstar-XP4-Canister-Filter-w-media-up-to-265gal_W0QQitemZ260049963900QQihZ016QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260049963900
(not sure if it comes with everything that I need.)

let me know what you think.

-pete
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.12(Sun)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fluval's a really good filter =)
Zeppelin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.14(Tue)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to my local fish store, the guy reccomended me to a filter system. Ocean Clear is the brand, I need to buy that and then a pump, so this will cost me about 400 bucks.

what kind of heater should I get? and what size?

I was thinking maybe 2 200W heaters
or
1 300 watt heater

I figure I will have a big powerhead in there to circulate the water good. But it still is a big tank, so I think 200W's will do the trick

all comments welcome!
aqua-artist
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.11.15(Wed)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 bucks for a filteration system Shocked , that's a bit too much for a fresh water aquarium IMO! Dude, I can build a reef tank with 400$ Laughing
Look for a nice big canister filter..You can even connect more than one.

By the way, I like your tank! it has a very bright future. I'll be watching the progress and hopefully give a good advice.

Cheers!
Verse914
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.11.15(Wed)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeppelin wrote:
Talked to my local fish store, the guy reccomended me to a filter system. Ocean Clear is the brand, I need to buy that and then a pump, so this will cost me about 400 bucks.

what kind of heater should I get? and what size?

I was thinking maybe 2 200W heaters
or
1 300 watt heater

I figure I will have a big powerhead in there to circulate the water good. But it still is a big tank, so I think 200W's will do the trick

all comments welcome!
at 400 bucks its most likely a wet/dry filter. They can be a bit "loud" from the dripping water, but thats compared to a canister which is silent. I prefer two filters over a single large filter. I'm running two fluval 404s and one Magnum 350 canister with a micron cartridge (for extra clarity) in my 125 gallon, and its always crystal clear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zeppelin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.15(Wed)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

verse, how much did that run you? I like the idea of one filter because I don't like the clutter and mess of a bunch of filters under the tank.

This is what I was thinking, this ocean clear, then I have to buy a 1000-1200gph pump
http://www.aquadirect.com/store/product.php?productid=328&cat=144&page=1

pump
http://www.aquadirect.com/store/product.php?productid=499&cat=222&page=2

here is what I got so far

The tank sanding is going good.

Progress on the stand, again, long and steady.

sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.11.15(Wed)20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a scary looking tank...what brand is it? have you ever re-sealed a tank before? One that old is going to need a complete disassembly and proper sealing. I would definately water test it for a few months in a safe place before I put it in my home. 180 gallons will ruin a home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Zeppelin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.11.15(Wed)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it so scary? I will do it, can't be that hard to reseal a tank. Why do I have to wait months?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to: