Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!
 
ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cloudiness of water
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Author Message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw away the pH down.

The readings that matter are ammonia, nitrite & nitrates. your tank is not cycled and you are seeing a bacterial bloom. Fro now you need to be doing daily 20% water changes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ziabis
Members


Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Throw away the pH down.

The readings that matter are ammonia, nitrite & nitrates. your tank is not cycled and you are seeing a bacterial bloom. Fro now you need to be doing daily 20% water changes.



I do not know how to test for those things? How do I test for these?

OK so 20% of 30G is about what? 6gallons?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rales12
Regulars


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziabis wrote:
diademhill wrote:
Throw away the pH down.

The readings that matter are ammonia, nitrite & nitrates. your tank is not cycled and you are seeing a bacterial bloom. Fro now you need to be doing daily 20% water changes.



I do not know how to test for those things? How do I test for these?

Buy one of these. There are other brands, too, but that's one of the best on the market. The test strips that you just dip in the water are not worth the money, as they are highly inaccurate. You should be able to find a test kit at your LFS, but if not, order one ASAP.
Educate yourself on what the cycle is and why it is important. It is just as easy to do without fish... for future reference.

Ziabis wrote:
OK so 20% of 30G is about what? 6gallons?

Yes, about six gallons every day. When you get your test kit, test for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte every day before your water change. It is helpful to chart it. pH doesn't matter nearly as much as everybody makes it seem, and pH down will make your water unstable and the swings in pH from that are harmful to the fish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ziabis
Members


Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Ziabis wrote:
diademhill wrote:
Throw away the pH down.

The readings that matter are ammonia, nitrite & nitrates. your tank is not cycled and you are seeing a bacterial bloom. Fro now you need to be doing daily 20% water changes.



I do not know how to test for those things? How do I test for these?

Buy one of these. There are other brands, too, but that's one of the best on the market. The test strips that you just dip in the water are not worth the money, as they are highly inaccurate. You should be able to find a test kit at your LFS, but if not, order one ASAP.
Educate yourself on what the cycle is and why it is important. It is just as easy to do without fish... for future reference.

Ziabis wrote:
OK so 20% of 30G is about what? 6gallons?

Yes, about six gallons every day. When you get your test kit, test for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte every day before your water change. It is helpful to chart it. pH doesn't matter nearly as much as everybody makes it seem, and pH down will make your water unstable and the swings in pH from that are harmful to the fish.



My question is, once I test for all these things, what do I do if they are out of whack?
Testing for them is one thing but fixing them is another?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rales12
Regulars


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your tank is still cycling, you are probably going to get readings of ammonia and/or nitrite. The only thing you can do at this point is daily 20% water changes, to lessen the amount of ammonia and/or nitrite in the water. That is what a cycle is. Quick overview:
Your fish poops. Bacteria consume the fish poop and turn it into ammonia. Another bacteria come along and turn the ammonia into nitrIte, which is just as bad for fish as ammonia. Then another bacteria comes along and turns the nitrIte into nitrAte, which is much less harmful, unless they are exposed to high levels of it, which is the reason you do weekly 20% water changes, once your tank is fully cycled. Read more about cycling a fish tank here. It is very important to understand what the nitrogen cycle is, and why it happens.

So your fix is to do the water changes until the tank is cycled. Absolutely do not add any fish until the cycle is completed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ziabis
Members


Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I thought you knew, I have fish already in the tank. As I mentioned after about 5 days I put in 7 tetras. ( 5 neons and 2 phantoms)

So cycling will be much more difficult. The only thing I can do is daily water changes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rales12
Regulars


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziabis wrote:
Oh I thought you knew, I have fish already in the tank. As I mentioned after about 5 days I put in 7 tetras. ( 5 neons and 2 phantoms)

So cycling will be much more difficult. The only thing I can do is daily water changes.


Yes. I know. I meant don't add any more fish until its completed; I'm incredibly exhausted today and my proofreading missed that.

And, yes... The only thing you can do is daily water changes. You may lose some fish during the cycle, so be ready for that. Just don't be tempted to replace them until ammonia and nitrite are at zero.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ziabis
Members


Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed another water change.

I make darn tootin sure that I replace the water exactly the same temp. and so far I have been gracisouly lucky that no fish have been ich enhanced *lol*.

So how many more days do you recomend daily water changes? So far its been 3.

I do very much appreciate all the help, Its been 30 years since I have had aquariums and need to learn all over again.

Off topic, after the "cycling" is complete what do you recomend for bottom eaters for garbage removal *lol*?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diademhill
Advisors


Joined: 18 Apr 2007

PostPosted: 2010.08.18(Wed)5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziabis wrote:
I just completed another water change.
So how many more days do you recomend daily water changes? So far its been 3.

Off topic, after the "cycling" is complete what do you recomend for bottom eaters for garbage removal *lol*?

You do daily water changes until you see no more ammonia on test and have seen nitrites and they have returned to zero - at least a month but you can use room temperature water to replace. Just add water conditioner to the new water.
For cleaning garbage try this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:  
  You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2008 phpBB Group

oF <=> oC in <=> cm G <=> L