Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cloudiness of water
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PaulaJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.08.02(Thu)1:10    Post subject: Cloudiness of water Reply with quote

I made the decision to keep my three green spotted puffers, and we are in the process of changing over from fresh water to brackish, I changed the water and changed the gravel to sand, even though I rinsed it for quite sometime before placing in the tank, the water turned real cloudy, I emptied it again, added clean water, but it still has some cloudiness. If there a trick to rinsing the sand to remove what causes this? I need to add one more bag of sand and am dreading it because I will go through this again and I don't want to stress my puffers out anymore than necessary. Any advice? Also . . . is it OK to add gravel in with the sand? I understand the purpose of the sand, but it is awful drab looking, so in a brackish tank would it be OK to combine the sand with colorful gravel?
Thanks, PaulaJ
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.08.02(Thu)18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how much you rinse, there will always be some degree of cloudiness.

Are the fish already in this tank? Better if they aren't while you are getting it settled.

Rinse the remaining sand you have to add. Then add it, and don't touch the tank for several days. The freefloating particles will settle out on their own.

Anytime you move the substrate around too much, either by planting/uprooting plants, shifting decorations, etc, you will inevitably kick up some sand and will see a little bit of cloudiness for a short while. It's not a concern and there isn't anything you can do but let it settle down on its own.
PaulaJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.08.02(Thu)18:37    Post subject: Cloudiness Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice . . . yes, the puffers are in the tank, I let it settle for 4 hours, but needed to put them in as I had no where else to place them. They seem to be doing alright, eating, active, etc. It is a little better (clearer) today, but still has a way to go for the pretty crystal clear look I am hoping for. I dread adding more sand, but I should, the layer in there now is only about 1 inch thick. I saw they have grey sand as well, is it alright to mix the grey with the natural color, I am assuming is would make no differece. ?
By the way, do you have puffers? Do you know if there are any other fish I can put in the tank with them at all??? I already found out ciclids were not a good idea, they ate them, I felt just terrible, so I figured puffers need to be alone with their own kind.
Thank you for your help. Paula
Ziabis
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that my cloudiness could be caused by over feeding.
So how much do I put in for 5 neons and 2 phantoms and 1 goldy.

They seem to eat almost everything that I put in which in my opinion is not much but I cannot clear up the cloudiness.

I use maybe 3 very tiny pinches but each time I wait for them to eat it all first then I put a bit more in

Is it true that they really only need 1 or 2 flakes per fish?

Need help
Thanks
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziabis wrote:

We need a little more information before we can assist you. How large is your aquarium? Have you cycled it properly?

Also, it seems that you have some basic stocking problems. You should not be keeping tropical fish with coldwater fish.
Ziabis
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkblade48 wrote:
Ziabis wrote:

We need a little more information before we can assist you. How large is your aquarium? Have you cycled it properly?

Also, it seems that you have some basic stocking problems. You should not be keeping tropical fish with coldwater fish.

I have a 30G, well I did have crystal clear water before the fish were put in and I cycled it for about 5 days.

Yes I know about the goldy, it was used as a tester fish for my old aquarium before we decided to buy a whole new setup...

My fiancee and son are now attached, I would llove to get it out... Do you highly recomend getting it out????
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.16(Mon)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziabis wrote:
I have a 30G, well I did have crystal clear water before the fish were put in and I cycled it for about 5 days.

Cycles take longer than five days. Read here. You need a liquid test kit and to start doing daily water changes until the ammonia and the nitrite drop to zero.

Ziabis wrote:
Yes I know about the goldy, it was used as a tester fish for my old aquarium before we decided to buy a whole new setup...

My fiancee and son are now attached, I would love to get it out... Do you highly recomend getting it out????

Do you know how large goldfish get? He'll be happier in a bigger aquarium anyway, and won't live as long as he should in the tropical temperature water.
See here.
If they're really attached to him... getting a 50+ gallon tank for just him would be best. But you need to worry about cycling your current one first.
Ziabis
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.17(Tue)6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Goldy, aka goldfish is now in a extremely large backyard pond.

I also just completed a 25% water change.
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.08.17(Tue)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziabis wrote:

Glad to hear both things!

Do you have a liquid test kit? Do you know what your water parameters are?
Ziabis
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.17(Tue)20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

rales12 wrote:
Ziabis wrote:

Glad to hear both things!

Do you have a liquid test kit? Do you know what your water parameters are?

Yes sorry I forgot to put that in. I'm over 7.6 on the pH scale, I have pH Down, I put some in the other day and didn't even notice a ounce of change.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: