Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I built a 3000+ Gallon Pond, now what?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blamus
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.24(Tue)15:58    Post subject: I built a 3000+ Gallon Pond, now what? Reply with quote

So over the last 4 days I got chirpy and dug a pond. It is 3 feet deep except for one area which is 4 feet deep. It is 20 feet long and 7 feet wide in a kidney type shape. I used cinder block, rebar, and concrete to support the sides and I put down a 2 inch layer of sand on the bottom for under the liner to minimize the chance of anything tearing it.

I have not figured out something way important though. What filter should I use. Does anyone have any reccomendations? I also have not chose my stocking yet so I would love to hear what people reccomend as a good stocking plan.

Thanks all. I have plenty of pictures up to this point, if anyone is interested I may post them.
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.25(Wed)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out azponds.com Look at the Laguna 3200, Tetra Clearchoice 4000, Hydromax, and the Cyprio Trinamic. All these have the filtering capability you will need.The first two are pessurized external cannisters with UV sterilizers. In a pond that size, Koi will feel right at home.
beowulf
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.26(Thu)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I would go with Koi. How hot do you think the water is going to be since you are in souther california? I am guessing unlike us people in the north, you will have your pond open all year? I would look for some interesting large cichlid, maybe even pacus. But that is just me.
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.26(Thu)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with you beowolf. Ponds are meant to house fish that display vivid colors and patterns on the large top surface of their bodies. These fish would be Koi, commons, comets, and many other species of goldfish/carp. Tropicals are meant to be viewed so that the display portion of their bodies(sides) can be seen, preferably in an aquarium.
beowulf
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.26(Thu)19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

piranha wrote:
I have to disagree with you beowolf. Ponds are meant to house fish that display vivid colors and patterns on the large top surface of their bodies. These fish would be Koi, commons, comets, and many other species of goldfish/carp. Tropicals are meant to be viewed so that the display portion of their bodies(sides) can be seen, preferably in an aquarium.

A pond is made to have what you want in it. My tiny pond has some golden white clouds and mollies. I see no reason why a pond should only include koi or related fish.
blamus
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.27(Fri)15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha. thanks very much. Guess what a friend gave me for the pond?

3 pacu and 4 tin foil barbs and one channel catfish.

Thats where I am right now.
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.28(Sat)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

error

Last edited by piranha on 2007.07.28(Sat)16:50; edited 1 time in total
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.28(Sat)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beowulf wrote: A pond is made to have what you want in it. My tiny pond has some golden white clouds and mollies. I see no reason why a pond should only include koi or related fish. Sure you can put any thing you want in a pond including your dog or cat. Would it make sense? In my opinion any type of tropical in a pond is a waste not being able to view it from all angles.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.29(Sun)0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
haha. thanks very much. Guess what a friend gave me for the pond?

3 pacu and 4 tin foil barbs and one channel catfish.
I hope you don't have any enemies Shocked

I agree to a point about keeping fish that have been bred to be viewed from above in ponds but there are quite a few species or varietues that do have colour over the top and so can be seen from above easily. I used to breed three spot gouramis in ponds over the summer and they were very attractive. Male guppies look surprisingly good from above and platies & swordtails work too. The golden form of zebra danios is a good pond "swarming" fish.

Moot point though really as the fish you've been so kindly given rule out most company.
Do you need to find a fish as a mosquito eater in your area?
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.29(Sun)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish you mentioned diademhill, are indeed great viewing fish and unless in a very tiny pond IMO would be lost. They also fall in a category of those most appreciated as viewed from all angles.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: