Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Harry Potter?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)18:34    Post subject: Harry Potter? Reply with quote

Anyone neglect their water changes in favor of something else yesterday??!! What'd you think? Personally, I thought the end was brilliant.
Cathy
aberdufi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I walked into Border's yesterday not even realizing that it was the release date of DH. I went in for a Javanilla shake, and came out with the newest volume of Harry Potter!

No spoilers, people! I'm just 50 pages in so far. I would usually be much further in, but I wanted to complete a different book I was almost finished with first.

http://www.myspace.com/aberdufi
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 626 so far, but I'm probably gonna finish today. Rowling is an amazing storyteller,and she reveals so many things about people and the twists are cool. I've read the first six at least 2 to 3 times I think lol.

Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

No SPOILERS! We'll wait until you are done to discuss.
Cathy
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jsut don't find those books interesting. they are in the genra I like but jsut not my taste, I read the first 100 pages of the first book and jsut wasn't liking it.

the movies are good, although aprently the new movie was missing a lot from story line. it seems a lot of great books are turning into horrible movies, the eragon movie comes to mind Rolling Eyes

I think there are many other books people should make movies of, but need to do a godo job, the harry potter movies are one of the only ones that do the story some sort of justice, though I guess I can't really say that, I haven't read them!
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my 'no spoilers' comments:

In general, I thought this episode was just OK. It has the audio-visual quality of all other ones, but the story-telling this time felt rather uninspired, and for someone like me who's never read any of the books (my wife did) there are several things thrown in for no apparent reason, that don't seem to add anything for the story told in the movie. They're clearly "tips of the iceberg" type scenes/characters and I'm sure that in the book they're much more detailed and fit in just right, but so far the Harry Potter movies had widely succeeded in making movie episodes that were self-contained and brilliantly narrated...not the case in this last one.

EDIT: oops, sorry, I just noticed this topic is about the new book (which my wife has been devouring since Saturday) not about the movie (which we went to see on that same day).

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...

Last edited by Marcos Avila on 2007.07.23(Mon)0:07; edited 2 times in total
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkipfer wrote:
I jsut don't find those books interesting. they are in the genra I like but jsut not my taste, I read the first 100 pages of the first book and jsut wasn't liking it.

The first one really is just a children's book compared to the rest. It is simple and easy to read. The other books really become more adventerous, mysterious, and emotional.

As for the movies (and this is a general comment to anyone)... I've given up on them being anything like the books. To really understand the whole series, you have to read the books. There isn't an option by the time you get to the end. There are so many references to past plot-lines that by movie 7 the directors/producers will be completely off-track. Goblet of Fire is the perfect example. The whole deal at the end with the wands was much more than a simple spell, as movie-Dumbledore tries to explain. Semi-spoiler: This "thing" becomes crucial to understanding the rest of the series. Leaving that explanation out will prove to be detrimental to the final movie. (hit the quote button if you want to see, or highlight and copy to some other application.)

I agree, Marcos. The story telling for movie 5 (or episode as you say) was uninspired. That's the best way to put it, really.
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.07.22(Sun)23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the book last night and stayed up all night to finish it! For some reason I can't put those books down once I start.
edzilla
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.23(Mon)2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished it yesterday, no more suspense, yay!

www.edsfish.CO2.uk
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.23(Mon)6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the movie producers have done a pretty good job actually. The last 2-3 were much better than the first couple. (IMO). They were more 'movies' and less book-come-to-life if you know what I mean. For example in the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry is flying over the lake, or the camera is moving through the clock in the tower. The approach to the story itself is told through the cinematography not just through a series of scenes with dialog like the first couple of movies. I really liked the last movie and though there were changes from the book, there really wasn't anything that substantial. My feeling is that the story and information presented in it won't detract from the plot line revealed in the last book.

On the whole, I think JK would have been better served by editors who'd have tried to get her to shorten the books. In most of the books there have been times when things get very bogged down and somewhat boring. Times when things go on and on too long. However, one can't argue with success and her story has certainly been tremendously successful.

One thing I have really appreciated with her books is the moral messages she expounds. From what I've seen in my kid's high school English curriculum, the emphasize is on existentialism and the inability of anyone to triumph over circumstances in this world which is set against them. Year after year, book after book, there is no cheer, no help, no victory, no use trying... leading to despair. (Hemingway after all committed suicide with a shot gun at his breakfast table.) The Potter story brings another message.

What are some of these morals? Loyalty, generosity, courage, self sacrifice, racial acceptance. An inner strength to do the right thing though it may lead to personal harm... All of these moral characteristics (and more) eventually lead the hero - and his friends - to final victory. There can be triumph and victory over evil in the end. (Just an aside, I really really thought it was cool that good beat evil while never adopting evil's strategy.)

Oops, no spoilers, I'd better shut up!
Cathy
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: