Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Expect the new hybrid cichlid in pet stores soon!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
minnesotakid
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.16(Mon)10:55    Post subject: Expect the new hybrid cichlid in pet stores soon! Reply with quote

When I was in my local pet store, I saw the cichlid tank and I saw some cichlids has very striking colors, remind me of flowerhorn. But all of them has parrot beaks. Its labeled said "bonsai parrot" which I never heard before. So I went search on the google and bingo! The bonsai cichlid are hybrid between the blood parrot and the flowerhorn. The bonsai was created in Tawian which I'm not surprised. I think they should stop make more hybrids, we had enough of them! The bonsai looks like parrot with flowerhorn colors and are smaller than flowerhorn.

Their other names are: Short bodied flowerhorn, Flowerhorn parrot, Kumfa flowerhorn, Balloon flowerhorn, Bonsai flowerhorn and Bonsai parrot but the common name is Kilin's parrot.

Its said to be docile than flowerhorn. And its getting more common lately in pet stores and on aquabid....why they have too many strains of flowerhorns than the 15,000 unhybrid cichlids species?

Last edited by minnesotakid on 2007.07.16(Mon)13:53; edited 1 time in total
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.16(Mon)11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, rediculous. I just got a pair of convicts that I found out were bred with BP's and their mouths are always open and it angers me. Plus they have so much trouble eating food because they can't slose down on it, they just have to hope some makes it's way in there so they can swallow it...I guess, not too sure. So I'm taking them back. I feel bad for anything cross-bred with BP's.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
minnesotakid
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.16(Mon)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like u got undyed jellybean parrots.... Can I have them? Lol. They can't closed their mouth but doesn't mean they can't eat. I owned lots of blood parrot for many years probably because they were only american cichlid that's suitable for community aquarium. But we don't need another new cichlasoma hybrids from asia like bonsai cichlid. Once bonsai cichlid is in aquarium trade, its hard to get out of it. Just look at chinese highfin sucker. I think that we should put cichlasoma in species tank only since they readily hybridizing with other species. Bonsai cichlid are made of 5 to 7 species...and we still can't figure out of who's parents of blood parrot! But I'm not against hybrids but I'm against the new hybrids after bonsai cichlid..

There are many hybrid cichlids commonly seen in aquarium trade:

Blood parrot and Flowerhorn.
Jellybean parrot: blood parrot x convict.
Darmo parrot: blood parrot x midas.
King kong parrot: blood parrot x red devil.
Lohann parrot: blood parrot x "golden" flowerhorn.
OB peacock: mbuna x peacock.
Red terror: green terror x any red cichlid species (flowerhorn and red devil).
Kilin's parrot: blood parrot x flowerhorn.
Any balloon type american cichlids expect the rams are likely results from crossed with blood parrots.
I think we should put them in Asian Hybrid Cichlid groups expect the african ones.

I don't want see another new asian hybrid cichlid in future, we have too many of them!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: