Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Trickle filter on a nano-reef
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mel_41085
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.06(Fri)4:05    Post subject: Trickle filter on a nano-reef Reply with quote

Hi, I am setting up a small NR in a tank with a filter and light built in, now I was just wondering if the trickle filter will be OK for it along with a powerhead for water movement?

thanks Very Happy
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.06(Fri)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trickle filter can be utilized as a form of exporting detritus and other waste from your system...just make sure to rinse it out with chlorinated water every week or so. Any longer than a week and you may end up with bacteria colonizing the sponge and converting large undesirable amounts of nitrate...

Perhaps this may be of interest:
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_small_aquarium_filter.php

Make sure you know what you're getting into before you start that nano-reef, it's not the easiest thing to do with most tanks crashing and burning before the 1 year mark.
mel_41085
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.07(Sat)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I am reading into the Nano side of things and getting more of an understanding of it all, I have had a 4ft reef up and running for about 1 year now so I have a pritty good idea of whats going on.
thanks for the info.
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.07(Sat)3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
rinse it out with chlorinated water every week or so. Any longer than a week and you may end up with bacteria colonizing the sponge and converting large undesirable amounts of nitrate

I am in the process of removing media from a cannister filter (bio-balls, ceramic noodles etc) to reduce the nitrAte levels in my 68Ltr marine tank.

I clean the filter once a week and have always used old tank water (die-hard habit from keeping freshwater for ages). I have read the information on the link which does make a lot of sense. If I also started rinsing the sponges in tap water would there be an increased risk of nitrIte spikes by doing this and removing media at the same time?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.07(Sat)5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that 68L tank has live rock/sandbed as a primary means of filtration?

If you knock out all the bacteria on the sponges, and remove media from the canister filter at the same time, there will be an increased risk of getting a nitrite or ammonia spike, yes.

I'd probably just line up the sponges behind the canister filter media for 'processing'. It's hard to gauge exactly how much you can remove without causing an ammonia or nitrite spike.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.07.07(Sat)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd chime in. there is a risk of an ammonia spike if you remove to much of the media at one time also. only remove a smallish percent of it eg 10% at a time and always test your ammonia the next day or so to see if next time you should remove less etc. When you remove the material your removing bacteria. with the lowered amount of bacteria there is more ammonia and nitrite for the other bacteria and the population will begin to increase in other surfaces untill their population is back up to the size needed.

Quote:
If I also started rinsing the sponges in tap water would there be an increased risk of nitrIte spikes by doing this and removing media at the same time?

I'd say there shouldn't be much of an issue as long as you do it on a regular basis so that the bacteria don't really use it as a place to live so that the population of bacteria that isn't living on the filter sponge is high enough to deal with the waste produced by the inhabitnats. just make sure if you do wash it out in dechlorinated tap water you do so regularly so that the bacteria don't build up a large colony that you then destroy the next time you clean it and possibly cause an ammonia or nitrite spike.

Andrew
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: