Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need desperate help with pond!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2007.06.29(Fri)1:00    Post subject: Need desperate help with pond! Reply with quote

My pond is utterly filthy, and when I took a bucket out, I see this green highlight in the water, under the correct ligthing. Did I mention it was FILTHY! After 20 minutes of being on, the filter literrally clogs with filth. Shocked . I made an 80% water change. NO DIFFERENCE! I need advice. The pond stats are:
Size: About 500 gallons
Fish: Shubukin, a fantail, black ornada, small comet. and dojo loach. (Medium size for a dojo loach) (the rosy died a while back. Sad These fish are not big.
Filter: The ones you can buy at home depot.
HELP! Shocked
Note: The pond is a year old
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.29(Fri)1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also. Once I get the mess cleaned up, I need some suggestions on good hardy plants to put in there. I want to get it cleaned up first.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.29(Fri)5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the water green or filthy?
Green is algae and there are various ways to combat it with shade being the quickest short term solution.

Filthy? How long has this filter been set up and how has it been maintained please?
Ferrariman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.29(Fri)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for hardy plants I have heard duckweed is really hardy but very messy and spreads like wild fire
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.29(Fri)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah it is both green and filthy thats the problem you see? The filter has been set up as long as the tank was. The pond is in shade. I maintained it by looking at the sponges inside the filter, and cleaning them about once a month, water changes were also once a month (not big ones) I am beggining to think I need a UV sterilizer filter, but they're 200$ which I don't have. Its a shame the water is so filthy, the pond was really on a roll, the surroundings look really nice, the goldfish were showing spawn like behavior, and a pair of dragonflies moved in. It looks really strange though this green highlight I was talking about, I'm thinking about storing the fish temporarily and rummagining about to see whats down there.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.06.29(Fri)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size filter is it? My HomeDepot around here sells 5 different sizes, one for ponds 100+ and the last one for ponds 2000+. I would reccomend doing a complete teardown of the pond. First catch the fish and any other live stuff in it, next take a stick and stir up the water so it is as murky and filthy as possible and then take multiple buckets of icky water out of the pond, refill and repeat, refill and repeat, etc until the pond is clean. If possible, wait until mid July or early august for this to make sure of fry.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.30(Sat)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember only that it was the medium size. I'm going to make a 95% water change, fry can swim in that. I'm doing a complete cleaning as soon as possible. It has to be done see. Cycle or not, I see no other solution. Those fish are incredibly hardy, they'll live when I put em back, the filter will probobly have some of that bacteria though. I bet I'll find a rat corpse like I did three times before Rolling Eyes . Either way I'm putting a stop to the problem
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.07.01(Sun)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barchef wrote:
I bet I'll find a rat corpse

GROSS!! Laughing I'm allowed to laugh because we've pulled dead squirrels out of our swimming pool more often than I care to say. We really need a cover for the winter months...
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.05(Thu)22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dead corpse would do major damage to your water quality. I would check it out right away. Go for a pressurized cannister with built in UV sterilizer. I use a Cyprio Bioforce with a Titan debri handling pump. Not only will the UV kill free-floating algae but also parasitic bacteria. Check out AZponds.com
Barchef
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.06(Fri)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough rat corpses have proven to do absolutely nothing to the water. AHEM! UPDATE people! Twisted Evil . Theres good news and bad news. The water is crystal clear now, I took out all the nasty stuff piled up on the bottom, not a corpse to be found. Bad news Crying or Very sad . The electric cable for the filter broke, eletricuting all of the fish and killing them all. I got a shock as well, it was fairly low voltage, but not for them. Crying or Very sad . Its a shame those fish have been there for a year. The dojo had a very interesting coloration as well (green, blue, and red striped back) I removed the filter right away, and added new fishies to replace them, but it still isnt the same Sad. Things happen. I bet it was one of those stupid rodents chewing on the cables...grrr Evil or Very Mad Anyway I have three little shubukins, a dojo, and a school of white clouds now, but still I'm fairly angry. The rodent extermination begins now Twisted Evil
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: