Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Long unknown disease progression
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
scrkpr
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)9:54    Post subject: Long unknown disease progression Reply with quote

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10
Tank size:29 gal
Inhabitants of tank:6 swordtails, 3 glowlights tetras, 1 male betta, 1 SEA, 2 Otto cats, trumpets snails, red cherry shrimp. 1 feeder guppy.
How long tank has been set up for since you got it (including cycling methods) a long time
Recent changes & fluctuations: I put on a new filter from a different tank, it had cycled media. Added the Swordtails and SAE after they completed QT
If a disease problem, what are the signs and symptoms you are noticing (as specifically as possible; if you see a lesion for example, describe size, color, how frayed the edge is, if it is ulcerated or raised, how long have you noticed it, does it change in size, etc.)
For the last few weeks many of the fish have been clamping their fins and not as active as usual. Now some have started bottom sitting. 1 of my feeder guppies has died. I noticed shredded tail fins on some of the fish but none of my fish are nippers. I did a full treatment of Maracyn to no effect. I tried Quick Cure thinking that perhaps a parasite was causing the problem. The fishes fins started to heal but the guppy still died. I tried PP after that and they seemed happier but still were clamped. I don't know what to do now. Honestly, they are most active the day after a WC even though my params are perfect before the WC. I think the filter from the other tank may have brought something into the tank or perhaps the new fish even thought were QT'd. I don't know how effective the Quick Cure is b/c it is a heavily planted tank so there is a lot of ogranic matter and I know that hinders the QC. Any ideas? I really feel like this is a parasite but perhaps I am wrong and should try some Maracyn2?
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is odd with those readings. I would have guessed ammonia or nitrite poisioning, but if they both zero than that is simply not the case.

You say they are on the bottom now with clamped fins and frayed fins as well. Hmm, time to get my thinking cap on....How badly are the fins frayed? I'd call Bacterial Fin Rot, although I am not sure why this was brought on. Try frequent water changes, say about 25% per day for the next few days and see what happens.

Did the guppy have any other marks on him after death? Just frayed fins?

Hopefully we can work this one out for you.
scrkpr
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the betta is bottom-sitting right now. The rest are still swimming around the tank. They just aren't swimming as actively as they used to. Almost everyone is clamped and has been for some time now. The guppy that died had frayed fins, very badly. It tail was looked liked one of those fancy split-tailed guppies. But after the first time I tried Quick Cure both the guppy and the Betta's fins started to get new healthy growth. The Betta's fins are looking better now, but he's bottom-sitting. Guppy bottom-sat for a day before he died. The shrimp are still carrying eggs, the swordtails are still breeding and the 1 have 2 baby fry that are growing. I'm not new to the hobby so I tried to handle it on my own, but I am stumped this time.

Oh I am also feeding medicated food. Both are common medicated foods for the goldfish I keep, so I cut them into smaller pieces. I just started them on it 2 days ago and so far I don't see any change in behavior. MetroMed: Active ingredients: Metronidazole, Ormetoprim-sulfa and Oxytetracycline and MediGold: Active ingredients: Ormetoprim, Sulfadimethoxine, Kanamycin and Oxolinic Acid
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I am stumped on this one as well.

Does the Betta have a gold tinge at all? I am thinking this is Velvet from the frayed fins and clamping you are talking about.

If it's not velvet, I am lost.
scrkpr
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.16(Sat)4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

No gold tinge. Well, at least we can be stumped together. Smile I'll keep this post bumped up for a few days and see if anyone else happens along who has an inspiration.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: