Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish need some a/c, and fast!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
southsideandy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.13(Wed)20:19    Post subject: Fish need some a/c, and fast! Reply with quote

You know, I've been keeping fish (and QTing them) for quite a while...but I guess in our new house, it's a little warmer.

So, stupid me (really, I'm not this dumb), I just lost 3 cardinals in my five-gallon kids tank (you know the ones, with the crappy incandescent light in the plastic form-fit hood...they're really cute...and cheap) over the last two days. Tested the water, checked for diseases, even treated with a little bit of Pimafix, JUST IN CASE. NOTHING. Not even my trustworthy friends at my favorite LFS could come up with anything...

So today, I brilliantly think, duh, maybe the water's too hot...I check the temp...holy XXXXXXXX! I'm practically set up for a Wisconsin fish boil! Just get the beer, and we're set.

So, having learned from my mistake, obviously, I'm going to have to do something else for quarantine on the next set of fish...

But in the meantime, any ideas for how I can quickly, but safely, get the temperature down in the tank? I'm thinking a small zip-loc bag with an ice cube or two, floating at the top might drag the temperature down slooooooowly enough. Obviously, the fish are already stressed from the heat. But I have a neon and three cardinals left in there, and I'd like to keep them safe and/or alive. Obviously, buying a chiller is not an option, nor is going out and buying a 10-gallon tank (at the moment, anyway).

Any ideas/help would be great...I tried searching around the forum for this, but didn't see it. Sorry if it already exists...
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.13(Wed)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set it in front of a fan, the plastic or glass will actaully bring the temp down by a degree or 2, especially if it is blowing over with the cover off.
Jason L
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.13(Wed)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hot is the tank? Do you have a basement you can keep the tank in temporarily?
southsideandy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.13(Wed)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temperature has come down to about 84 degrees since about four hours ago. It was up around, if not above, 90.

I've had the aquarium light off since then--probably the real major problem since it gets hot--and I've had the room fan blowing all day long. It amazing with the stupid little incandescent light will do for a tank's temp.

I may move the thing into the basement tomorrow morning, just in case. I don't want the fish to have to be QT'ed in darkness because I have to keep the light on the tank off (even though the main tank is about a foot away from it, so there'd probably be some residual light from that).

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I haven't doomed these other three guys...
Jason L
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.13(Wed)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the light off; ambient room light is more than enough for fish.
gm333
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.13(Wed)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coralife makes a flourescent screw-in bulb. They generally run a little cooler than the icandescents not to mention look much better. The only other advise that I can give that has not been mentioned is run your a/c at lower temps.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.14(Thu)2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topping up evaporated water with ice cubes also helps...as do floating frozen bottles. Careful with how quickly the temperature drops with those methods though.
southsideandy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)22:49    Post subject: Just an update... Reply with quote

Well, I got the temp down to near 80, but apparently, the damage had already been done. I lost two more...now I'm down to one cardinal, and he's not looking very good. I thought maybe it was an O2 problem, because he appeared to be gasping a bit. So I put in an airstone on a pump, and we'll see how he does.

Thanks for the help all! I appreciate it...if I lose this guy, I'll end up emptying out the QT tank and "starting over" there. Thankfully (knock on wood), that's what the QT is for, right?
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the last cardinal to be gasping would be that warmer water carries less oxygen for the fish and they need to have an airstone in a tropical tank anyway. By the way, stocking a 5 gallon tank with 5 cardinal tetras and 1 neon tetra is overstocking and they should really be kept in larger schools in larger tanks to reduce stress. 80 is a good temperature for the cardinals but I don't know about the neon (probably fine)
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: