Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Planted setup progress (photos)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Matt Quinn
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)1:04    Post subject: Planted setup progress (photos) Reply with quote

I don't know if this should go in the Photo Album section, but if most users are like me, a picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to any topic. So here is my 40gal planted aquarium progress:

Here is the aquarium about a month after initial setup and complete cycle. The driftwood was all boiled for many hours to remove all the tannins and any harmful chemicals.

This shot was immediately after adding the plants. Obviously not enough light coming from the single fluorescent tube.... The light on the aquarium at this point was simply to see what I was doing. At this time a had just received and installed my AHSupply 96w 36" 6700k PC light fixture and tube.

This picture was taken with the camera on the manual setting, the exposure is exactly the same, no camera tricks or differences between the two. For those of you considering a AHSupply upgrade or any Power Compact fixture... This is a perfect example. Compare to the above picture. AMAZING difference. I highly recommend their products. Excellent company.

This picture was taken exactly one week from the picture above. The growth on the Sword and the Cabomba is obvious. The others are a little slower, but I have new buds on most of the other plants. The Anubias is a bit tricky to keep in the shade as I notice they do better in lower light.

That's it for now.. I will add more pictures if a get positive feedback. I have photo documented this entire setup from conception to building the canopy to planting the fauna. Please ask any questions and always feel free to give advice. Consider me a sponge for knowledge.
StephenC
Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful tank! Well done Cool
FineGents
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Very Happy I like the wood, what kind is it.
Matt Quinn
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

FineGents wrote:
I like the wood, what kind is it.

There are two different kinds of driftwood in the tank. The wood that you can see in the foreground is Malaysian Driftwood. There are two large pieces in the rear that you can't really see in the photo and those are African Swahala Driftwood.

Thank you for the kind comments. An artists always appreciates good feedback.
FineGents
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK, thanks.
Matt Quinn
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see in the most recent picture, the Cabomba is starting to brown a little. I think it is just algae and debris from the substrate landing on the delicate leaves... But I'm not sure. Does anyone have experience with Cabomba that would reveal why they are starting to turn brown? I'm still quite pleased with their growth. I have already cut two stalks down and replanted them. I just added a few Bee Shrimp and a couple more Otos to control the algae.
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely tank! More details please, CO2?, Fish? I can't tell besides the oto. I like seeing the progression, I think we'll need an update in a few weeks.
Matt Quinn
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

NancyD wrote:
More details please, CO2?, Fish? I can't tell besides the oto. I like seeing the progression, I think we'll need an update in a few weeks.

I have slowly been adding the inhabitants over a period of time.

Here are the current inhabitants:
~6 Ghost Shrimp
2 Bee Shrimp
6 Otocinclus
2 Chinese Algae Eater
6 WCM Minnows
2 Black Veil Angel

The tank is filtered by a Fluval 305 Canister Filter. I use a DIY CO2 canister and diffuser with approximately 3 bubbles per minute. As I noted before, the light is supplied by a AH Supply 96watt Power Compact. The duration of lighting is never consistent and I need to fix that.. The problem is, I often do the water changes and other tank care late at night.. And then usually observe for quite a while.. So the light stays on quite a bit more than it should.. But I'm getting a timer and will leave it off for a reasonable amount of time during the day while I'm at work. The substrate is a combination of Seachem Flourite and deep river pebbles. I also made my own Lunar Light system out of LED's and PVC. I will be posting a new thread in the Photo Album section with the entire tank setup with many pictures for all to see.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the only difference between the middle two is auto vs. manual exposure on your camera? That is so cool. I like either, personally. The first one is very moody and dramatic, but the second really show the beauty of the tank. And it is a beautiful setup.

The deep river pebble, was that from the Estes brand? Just wondering because I was making a wish-list for my own planted tank (months and months away, probably) and had picked that same gravel as my favorite. Is it darker in person than your pictures show?
Matt Quinn
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.07.10(Tue)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
So the only difference between the middle two is auto vs. manual exposure on your camera? That is so cool. I like either, personally. The first one is very moody and dramatic, but the second really show the beauty of the tank. And it is a beautiful setup.

The deep river pebble, was that from the Estes brand? Just wondering because I was making a wish-list for my own planted tank (months and months away, probably) and had picked that same gravel as my favorite. Is it darker in person than your pictures show?

Actually Luna, the camera was set on automatic. I made a mistake in the previous post, I will add a picture with the camera settings the same, you'll be amazed. The difference between the two pictures is the lighting. The dimmer of the two pictures was illuminated by a single fluorescent tube, probably about 25watts... The second, brighter picture is the new 96watt power compact fluorescent. Huge difference.

The gravel was actually stolen from a previously established aquarium of mine from loong ago. I honestly don't know the brand, but it is a little bright probably from being outside while the aquarium was not in use.. The sun has bleached the gravel over time. I do plan to add some newer, darker, gravel. Keep in mind when adding substrate, the smaller the pieces, the lower they go. So I would have to find a larger diameter gravel to make sure it stays on top. Just a thought.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: