Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How much/often should you feed african cichlids?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.06.03(Sun)20:00    Post subject: How much/often should you feed african cichlids? Reply with quote

My cichlids always act like they're starving. Any time I walk by they swarm, begging for food. I feed them several times a day, using cichlid flakes, cichlid pellets, and spirulina. I usually give 3 generous pinches each feeding but it's gone in less than 30 seconds. Am I feeding enough? My other tanks I feed what they'll eat in a minute, but I don't want to overfeed and they seem like they're eating a lot. They also get cucumber or squash every couple of days (they look like piranhas going in for the kill). Are my fish just piggies?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.06.03(Sun)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbuna are always hungry... don't be tempted to overfeed. Generally speaking, 2 minutes after you feed the mbuna, all food should be eaten... not just in mouths, but in bellies.
Hope that helps! Smile

Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.06.03(Sun)23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fish eat an extreme amount of food as well, silversides, krill, blood worms, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and the list goes on... I feed my fish 2 times a day and as much as they can eat in about 2 minutes... While I am not the expert on africans, SAs are where I know most... I have kept africans enough to know that they can be as bad as oscars as far as food begging goes... just make sure you are not over feeding.
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.06.04(Mon)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured they were getting enough, they just make me laugh when they beg for food. They're all growing fast and look healthy so I guess they're getting what they need. Thanks!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: