Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A bit of advise please???
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sycko80
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)11:25    Post subject: A bit of advise please??? Reply with quote

What are nitrates? are they harmfull? and what level are they suposed to be at? mine has risen to 40 within a week from an average of 20 over a period of months is this bad? and how do I lower it?
also my p,h is now 6.4 in the baby tank after I placed some bog wood in there is this a good reading for platys?
Ferrariman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitrates r a toxic chemical(I think its a chemical) anyway it is the end result of the nitrifying bacteria doing there job. in order to lower it u have to do water changes. take out 25% of the water from your tank and then put dechlorinated water back into your tank = to the amount u took our. do this about once a week and everything should be fine Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
sycko80
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for the help!! I have just done a 30% water change u should have seen the black filth from beneth the gravel!! I will do a test tomorow when it has settled down and hope my nitrates drop
Ferrariman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

good Very Happy just keep up with that once a week and u will have a fine looking tank
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrates are toxic in high amounts. 40 is pushing the upper limits, but is still okay. Since it rose so quickly after being stable, your fish probably did not like it. Water changes are good.

(and ew! Black stuff? ew! lol)

And yes, they are a chemical compounds. Just about everything is a chemical, though, so you can't really freak out about that. Water is a chemical. We are entirely made up of chemical compounds and reactions.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: