Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
First fish death
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.03(Sun)4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of starting the syphon is to jerk it up and down in the water, the water will eventually travel up the tube...but I find this method harder and causes more stress to the fish.

In the 'hospital' tank, I would add an air pump at least with a sponge filter, it will help. Just add some filter media from your main tank.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
dryn
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.04(Mon)22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll be setting up a separate tank very soon. I thought I should mention that I have been getting clearer looks at Simon, the male swordtail, and I would say he is definitely not looking too good. The edges of his fins look frayed and dark, his scales are dulled and he just doesn't seem very good in general. Sad
dryn
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.11(Mon)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I haven't quite put him in the new tank yet, but it is set up. Here's what he looks like:

- He is a lot more greenish and pale than my other, female swordtail. She is orange with strong colouring while he is green and faded

- He has little appetite and rarely eats at feeding time, with the other fish

- His fin edges are dark and frayed

- He sometimes does unusual rapid and jerky movements

- His scales are blotchy and faded

I'll update more as it happens.
dryn
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible nightmare.

My other female swordtail died. The one I thought looked perfectly healthy, was eating fine, etc. I took her out and noticed she had a wound on her side that was bleeding. I'm not sure what that was from. She died in the same place as the last one.

My power filter had stopped some time in the last week without me noticing. It was really overheated, but I fixed it. I checked for Ammonia and it was clear so I don't think it poisoned the fish, but it may have been dirty. I changed half the water.

I finally put Simon into my quarantine tank. He looks the same as I mentioned in my last update. I'm leaving for a while in less than a week, but I would like to treat him with something before I go, if possible.

I'm worried for my other fish. I don't THINK any others look unhealthy, but I don't exactly trust myself with that any more.

Is it normal for the female pearl gourami to be paler in colour than the male?

Thanks.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: